Using white vinegar to kill mould in the run?

Hannah_Corridor

Hatching
Nov 24, 2020
Hi all, we're in our first few days of caring for young chooks (2x 5 month old sussex, 2x 3 month old barnies) and we've found a pretty hefty patch of mould on a tree stump in the run.

Having heard some horror stories, I'd like to kill it ASAP — but as the chooks are still new to the environment I can't let them out of the run yet. So I'm thinking I will spray the tree stump with white vinegar to kill the mould naturally, because it's also not harmful to the girls (or so I understand?). But will this backfire with the chooks liking the smell/taste and actually want to eat it? Or would this deter them from the mould as well as kill it?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I regularly spray my coop down with a white vinegar / water solution. I have never noticed my girls taking an interest in it. If you’re concerned, you can always chicken wire off that area in the meantime while the mold dies. Just circle the wire right around the bottom of the tree.

I'm not there at the moment, but it's kind of similar to these. Pale blue/grey, little bit fuzzy, close to the bark and over quite a lot of the surface. Looks similar to what you'd find on old soft cheese. I wouldn't say it looks like a natural moss-type growth (though I'm no expert) and the tree stump itself is quite young and healthy, as the tree was only just pulled down.

Attachments

• close-white-mold-on-tree-260nw-1599314089.jpg
    close-white-mold-on-tree-260nw-1599314089.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 6
  • sooty-mold-caused-by-spotted-lanternfly.jpg
    sooty-mold-caused-by-spotted-lanternfly.jpg
    464.7 KB · Views: 6
Pics?
There are many kinds of 'molds' and other organisms, that are present in rotting wood,
most are harmless to chickens.
I've actually been curious for awhile - I've seen posts that moldy food can kill chickens and I've seen 'chickens can eat anything'

Is it that prolific in your yard?
Wouldn't hurt to spray it with vinegar.
If older birds I'd not worry, but tiny chicks could be more affected.
I've never seen it before now actually, usually we've got a really healthy yard. I'm thinking you're right, and it's better to be safe than sorry.

I've actually been curious for awhile - I've seen posts that moldy food can kill chickens and I've seen 'chickens can eat anything'
You know me too! I did a heap of research before we bought our girls and there's basically conflicting advice on everything. 🙄 I think it's all just a case of trial and error, common sense and erring on the side of being safe rather than sorry.

Like about anything..... a little bit won't hurt, but lots can.
Some organisms are more toxic than others, and IDing them can be very difficult to impossible.

Back
Top Bottom