USPS embargo on live animals (chicks) through Feb 26, 2021!

Pics
It m
Maybe contact m.mcmurray and ask them what what's going on? I'm looking up our fav..cackle..have had excellent success with them. They are in No..brb
It's probably the winter storm blasting thru the US now but there has been interesting info on cities/ locales getting technical on chicken keeping within city limits. It happened near me and we received two hens that weren't allowed at their former residence. We are out of city limits

Screenshot_20210219-093753_Email.jpg

I understand that the hatcheries likely aren't set up for house them, Not as many as they hatch!
The part about no place to house them is only one of the reasons why they need to ship them. The other is that within the first 48 hours, chicks don't need that much. They might be provided with stuff to help them survive, but water can't be shipped with them. The older the chick gets, the harder it'll be on the chick for survival. That's why it's so important. Then for the ones they can't ship- overcrowdedness because of no place to put them. That will lead to unhealthiness, and waterer and feeders that can't be kept up with and possibly a lot of deaths of the chicks.
I assumed the hatcheries would sell as many as they can locally, and euthanize the rest.
(So if you live close enough to drive to a hatchery in this weather, maybe give them a call.)

I think there is no conceivable way that the hatcheries can house the chicks for any length of time, and then ship them later with different conditions.

And I do think it's better for the hatcheries to euthanize the chicks that cannot be shipped, rather than having the Post Office accept the boxes of chicks and then let them die of starvation or dehydration or cold because they cannot deliver them in time.

The hatcheries already must have a way to euthanize unwanted male chicks, so they could probably deal with the entire hatch that way if they must.

It's not just chicks. It applies to honeybees and pet lizards and live bugs to feed the lizards and aquarium fish and many other kinds of live things, too. If the Post Office took people's money, accepted the packages, and then let all those creatures die--I think that would be even worse than announcing a second week of not shipping live animals.

I am actually surprised that baby chicks have been allowed to ship through the mail over the past several years given the consistent drama with the US Postal Service. All I can say is that I have received hundreds of baby chicks through the mail going back over 50 years and have never had a single one DOA and that never ceases to amaze me. And this embargo likely has very little to do with the weather; just a way to get the ball rolling to a permanent ban.

It certainly
Can't hurt to contact your state reps to give them our "two cents" esp. if someone doesn't want this to become an ongoing issue! I don't want this to become a norm in my state. The mail has been an issue where I live pre-christmas. Boxes I mailed to my daughter in Oct sat for a month in Greensboro then were "in transit" until January. This would not have been well for babies of any species. They need priority services..American people have the right to purchase and raise their own food sources.🇺🇲

I am actually surprised that baby chicks have been allowed to ship through the mail over the past several years given the consistent drama with the US Postal Service. All I can say is that I have received hundreds of baby chicks through the mail going back over 50 years and have never had a single one DOA and that never ceases to amaze me. And this embargo likely has very little to do with the weather; just a way to get the ball rolling to a permanent ban.
Agreed!

Back
Top Bottom