USPS Gets an A+

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Heidi, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    Most of the time I'd have to agree with everyone about frustrating issues with the USPS, but I do have a nice story to share about my mail lady. I was due eggs on Thursday, but as I checked my confirmation number on the USPS website it indicated it was out for delivery Wednesday. (My package took only 1 day Priority Mail which I didn't really expect since I live very much north of a major city). Well I figured my mail lady would leave my eggs by the door like usual. I work 1 mile down the road and know what time she delivers so I leave work and put them in the house ASAP. Well I arrive home and no eggs..... Odd.... I check my confirmation number again and it says "noticed left" (maybe the wind blew it away) So I call the PO and they say the package will be there in the morning and I can pick it up. So Thursday at around 1 p.m. I arrive at the PO and they don't have the box.... The PO worker says that maybe my mail lady is attempting to deliver it again. Oh no... SO I rush home and there's a notice to pick up my eggs at the PO tomorrow. Sigh... Well I know for a fact I am the first person on the mail lady's route and the street across from mine is the end so I stand in front of my window for just over an hour waiting and waiting to catch her. Finally I see her coming down the road so I fly out the door, down my drive and cross the street just as she's pulling up to her last mail box. She's shaking her head and smiling. (Did I mention it's snowing like crazy and 15 outside?) She hands me my box and says she knows these are eggs and she knows how fragile they are and didn't want to be the cause of freezing little baby's. I know she didn't go way out of her way, but she did have the common sense and cared enough not to leave my box by the door. She now knows where I work and that if I have more eggs coming I will be home ASAP to get them in the house. [​IMG] Oh did I mention I one time locked myself in my hen house and was standing there trying to figure out how to get out when she pulled up? Now that's another story...

2. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    Very nice - my mail person left my eggs in the snow.

3. Heidi

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    Your mail person left your box of eggs in the snow! I'm so sorry.

4. Hi! That's great! I hope you call your postmaster and sing praises for your carrier.
    When I ship eggs, my ph# /contact info is on the box label --- I've gotten several early morning calls from usps employees asking did I have a ph# for the recipient. They wanted to know (since the box was marked FRAGILE/PERISHABLE/EGGS FOR HATCHING) if the recipient would like to the package held at the PO for pick-up instead of being loaded on the truck for delivery. They had checked the phone book for a # to call and didn't find one and customer didn't request 'HOLD & CALL FOR PICK UP', so I didn't have one either.
    But it was what all postal employees *could do* and I've always called back and spoke to the postmaster to say 'thanks', and sent an email to USPS.
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

5. chicken-owner-31

chicken-owner-31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    NV
    It's always great to hear the good stories! My local PO folks are WONDERFUL too! Very understanding and sweet to work with. They have gone out of thier way on a couple occasions for us. I think it helps living in a small town! [​IMG]

I'm waiting on some eggs now too, and I'm aggravated that they aren't here yet.....only because the tracking number said they should be. If it said Monday, I would have been dissappointed, but I don't think I would have been as mad. [​IMG]

6. Heidi

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    I'm ashamed I didn't think about letting my postmaster know about my mail lady's good deed. I will call on Monday. I'm sorry about your eggs not arriving Tuper. And to have to wait all w/e would be very frustrating too. I hope they arrive Monday all safe an sound.

7. JenEric Farms

JenEric Farms GOOGLE GENIUS

Oct 31, 2007
    Maine
    Quote:I'd LOVE to hear that story!!!

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Hey, Heidi! Haven't seen you around much lately. You still have any of the Ameraucanas you hatched from my eggs years ago? I still have one of the mamas, my Charlotte.

I like my local P.O. My delivery guy has hatched eggs himself, so he always calls and tells me when they arrive.

9. Heidi

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    Well if you must hear the story of me locking myself in... My DH installed neat locks on all the coop doors. The latch kind that latch when the door shuts. Well the door shut an I didn't have my chicken access doors open to the yard either. My girls were all throwin a fit waiting to get outside and I'm just standing there. Next I see the mail lady delivering a package to my door and I called out to her. She actually walked across the yard and into my barn and stood there shaking her head. After she let me out I tried explaining about the new latches and all but she just kept shaking her head and smiling.

10. JenEric Farms

JenEric Farms GOOGLE GENIUS

Oct 31, 2007
    Maine
    Quote:I wonder what kind of stories your mail lady tells when she gets home at night! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by