USPS super slow shipping egg/broody help Please

Lilalienangel

Songster
Aug 28, 2019
So I ordered some BMC and cream legbar hatching eggs from Ebay. My closest order was given to usps on the 6th. My other order was coming twice the distance and was given to them on the 9th yet for some reason the estimated delivery date for both was yesterday the 13th. Well I didn't get anything today. So I signed uo for text tracking. One hour ago I got a notice that my closest package JUST LEFT THE FACILITY OF ORIGIN!!! I have still heard nothing on my other farther eggs. I am so nervous. First off I have 2 broodies that have been that way for over a week sitting on fake eggs. I also have a serious concern on hatchability when they arrive!!

I guess I need to know.
Is there anything I can do to increase the hatchability of these eggs when I finally get them?
Is there any telltale signs of a bad egg when candleing?
Should I still let them sit 2 days knowing how long they took?
How long will broody hen sit on non viable eggs if they don't hatch?

I am sooooo anxious now. This could be $80.00 wasted but I have chicken obligations I can not fulfill without these babies.. 😥

I can't help with all these questions, but I'd suggest messaging the people/companies that are sending the eggs and let them know now what's going on. They may be something they can do, on getting a refund from USPS or you could try calling USPS yourself. The box they're sent in should have a label along the lines of "Live hatching eggs" Or something like that, they should be top priority... Obviously that doesn't mean it's the post offices top priority, but it's a perishable, the fact that it's taken that long to send means they're not likely viable.

* Now that's not to say you shouldn't set them, when they do arrive. (so many negatives, I mean- do set them)

I'd candle them all, any with cracks are not likely to survive, but you can try patching them up with nail polish, I've had that work on my own eggs before.

Any with detached air cells should not be turned for several days to make the aircell reattach to the shell. You'll want them put into an egg carton round side up, or in the turner cradle if you have an auto turner and you'd like to set them right away, without plugging it in.

I'm not sure how long your broodies will sit, it's very dependent on what she wants to do. I've had some sit for a lot longer than others, some who didn't sit more than a week, for no reason at all.

So I ordered some BMC and cream legbar hatching eggs from Ebay. My closest order was given to usps on the 6th. My other order was coming twice the distance and was given to them on the 9th yet for some reason the estimated delivery date for both was yesterday the 13th. Well I didn't get anything today. So I signed uo for text tracking. One hour ago I got a notice that my closest package JUST LEFT THE FACILITY OF ORIGIN!!! I have still heard nothing on my other farther eggs. I am so nervous. First off I have 2 broodies that have been that way for over a week sitting on fake eggs. I also have a serious concern on hatchability when they arrive!!

I guess I need to know.
Is there anything I can do to increase the hatchability of these eggs when I finally get them?
Is there any telltale signs of a bad egg when candleing?
Should I still let them sit 2 days knowing how long they took?
How long will broody hen sit on non viable eggs if they don't hatch?

I am sooooo anxious now. This could be $80.00 wasted but I have chicken obligations I can not fulfill without these babies.. 😥
Broody hen will sit and sit and sit i wouldn't let them sit for 2days i would give them 12-24hrs and stick them under your broody hens

So I payed for 11 and got 13. 10 have partially detached airsacs. 2 have completely detached airsacs. 1 I am pretty sure is a complete dud. It looks like the yolk scrambled with the airsac. I included a picture. Do you think it is a dud? I am putting the partially detached ones in with my broodies. I'll try to fanagle something to put the totally detached ones pointy side down in my brinsea mini advance. I'm thinking an egg carton setup. Here we go.
20200715_202311-1.jpg

Just wanted to let you know that you're not alone. USPS has been HORRIBLY delayed lately. Please make sure to take lots of pictures (even if it's nothing visible) and file claims. My local post office is amazing and they've urged me to start filing claims because they're seeing what's going on too. I have lost more money than I want to admit because of USPS just letting eggs sit in different locations. It's extremely frustrating. The few times I have spoke with a human (not at my local PO) they always say that they're experiencing delays because of covid19. They've tacked on allowing 2 extra days for Priority Mail "due to covid19". I didn't know that eggs could be shipped without getting a completely detached air cell or at the very least, a rolling air cell, until recently. I was amazed when I received eggs in the mail that didn't have bubbles in the air cell that would roll around any and every which way. I understand they're getting bombarded with packages but so many people would love to have a job and help them get caught up. I hope your eggs are still viable and wish you nothing but the very best. My ordering eggs started with ordering some for my broody. The first eggs I received were old by the time I got them and looked awful, so I ordered more from another source. I was able to set some of those under her and 2 hatched (and I had one hatch in the incubator so a total of 3 out of the first 23 eggs). She's still taking care of her babies and loving being a mom for the first time.

So I payed for 11 and got 13. 10 have partially detached airsacs. 2 have completely detached airsacs. 1 I am pretty sure is a complete dud. It looks like the yolk scrambled with the airsac. I included a picture. Do you think it is a dud? I am putting the partially detached ones in with my broodies. I'll try to fanagle something to put the totally detached ones pointy side down in my brinsea mini advance. I'm thinking an egg carton setup. Here we go.
View attachment 2245870
File a claim with the post office and email the the business you got them from and tell them whats going on they will probably send you more

Back
Top Bottom