Utah!

So themadchicken (Gary) wanted to see some updated photo's of the Silkies that I got from him, so I figured I would share. I just love them all, and their fluff is awesome! They will be 4 weeks old on Monday. I wish I knew which was male and female. Probably going to have to wait awhile.

#1 The very smallest

Last edited:
Hi Brian,

I have a dozen Buffs.... love them:love .  They are very sweet and calm plus they lay all winter.  Yes, they do go broody if you let them.... I just found 30 eggs in the dog house from 3 hens that I knew were slipping off and hiding their eggs...:rolleyes: silly girls.

YES, you must fortify your coop!!  The predators don't normally carry off the heavies... they just kill and munch, except for fox and eagles.  We have raccoon, skunk, coyote, fox, mountain lion, bear, plus horned owls and eagles, with the occasional hawk or osprey.  Then there's the dogs who have wandered away from the fishermen on the river.  Grrrr:barnie .  But I haven't lost anything to predators for two years since working on the coops and runs.   Plus the guineas sound the alarm during the day, which protects all!!
wow it sounds like you have a lot of predators! How can you make your hens go 'broody?' I'm hopefully getting some chicks or pullets with in the next few days. The coop I just purchased was WAY smaller then what the said it was, I was kind of forced to get a second bigger coop. I was a little upset at first but I eventually wanted a bigger one so it worked out.

wow it sounds like you have a lot of predators! How can you make your hens go 'broody?' I'm hopefully getting some chicks or pullets with in the next few days. The coop I just purchased was WAY smaller then what the said it was, I was kind of forced to get a second bigger coop. I was a little upset at first but I eventually wanted a bigger one so it worked out.
My husband built me a coop, he got plans off the internet, and of course now with everything I know, I wish we would have built it different. It will work till I can con him into making me another one! And I'm making me another coop out of wooden shipping crates. I wanted a separate coop for my silkies and bantams, but I'm almost wondering if they will all use them since they will all have access to either coop when they are all outside together free ranging. We will just have to see.

My husband built me a coop, he got plans off the internet, and of course now with everything I know, I wish we would have built it different.  It will work till I can con him into making me another one!  And I'm making me another coop out of wooden shipping crates.  I wanted a separate coop for my silkies and bantams, but I'm almost wondering if they will all use them since they will all have access to either coop when they are all outside together free ranging.  We will just have to see.  
i also got plans off the internet. I want to build a really cool chicken coop lol. Eventually. . I need to predator proof my coops very goodnso i don't wake up to missing chickens. My chickens will be free grazing all day but will lock them up in the coop at night.

Desert, you are welcome to Sissy if you want her. Let me know if you change your mind about the boys. They are currently slated to be dinner. I may keep a rooster with my layers, but it seems that if anything I should keep a spare of one of the boys that I am keeping the breed for. Still making up my mind.

I also have the houdan girls if anyone wants them. I have my favorite girl that I am probably keeping, but if someone were to want all three...

Off to the chores and garden!

i also got plans off the internet. I want to build a really cool chicken coop lol. Eventually. . I need to predator proof my coops very goodnso i don't wake up to missing chickens. My chickens will be free grazing all day but will lock them up in the coop at night.

Both of ours (and the two yet to be built), were from ideas we found here on BYC. You should browse the coop section. It is really helpful to know what worked or didn't work for people. My DH looked at the pictures and built from there. We have one that cost almost 2k to build (love it, but that is WAY more than we intended to spend!), and one that cost 300 (almost half of that is paint that is to help paint the house, so really more like 200).

These are some pictures from last year of the coop we build. This is the expensive one. Very cute and will remain the coop for our layers. Out of six nest boxes, the girls use one. I thought I had one of the new one also, but it is on my cell phone.
*this is also before we put the roofing material on.
**our house is in these colors, so the coop actually matches our house.

Last edited:
Both of ours (and the two yet to be built), were from ideas we found here on BYC. You should browse the coop section. It is really helpful to know what worked or didn't work for people. My DH looked at the pictures and built from there. We have one that cost almost 2k to build (love it, but that is WAY more than we intended to spend!), and one that cost 300 (almost half of that is paint that is to help paint the house, so really more like 200).
These are some pictures from last year of the coop we build. This is the expensive one. Very cute and will remain the coop for our layers. Out of six nest boxes, the girls use one. I thought I had one of the new one also, but it is on my cell phone. *this is also before we put the roofing material on.
oh wow that coop is amazing!! Great work! That's the kind of coop id love to build. Once I get my coops set upI willnpost some pictures. Its nothing extravagant like yours bit its a good starter coop Just small

Back
Top Bottom