Utah!

Cuuute chicks, jwoo. I love the color of that little Cochin! Congrats on the new babies
smile.png

I've noticed a difference in a few of the feed stores, too. The Salt Lake IFA on 21st was really good about watching their chicks for the first little while that they started getting them in. I've been in there several times since, and each time, it's like they're slowly getting more lax on it. I don't know if someone was in charge that got transferred or what, but when I was in there the other day, they had a couple bins of chicks that didn't even have a sign saying what breed they were, and no one working that day knew for sure, either. I've only been to the Cal Ranch in West Jordan a couple of times, so I didn't get a great look at their conditions, though I did see some pasty bums on the chicks there. The Cal Ranch in Tooele has been stellar, from what I've seen. Been in there a few times, and there's almost always an employee within sight of the brooders. They're very good at keeping an eye on the health of the chicks and moving anyone who's sick or getting beat up to the chick ICU.

Sorry, didn't mean to write a review column. Jwoo got me excited, I guess.

I need the oppinion of my Utah peeps. I live in South Central utah...they temps this week are really nice until sunday, which we expect snow and temps to drop down to 35 degrees and Monday's Lo's are 23. I want to put my 2 week old chicks outside, with a heat lamp of course. Do you think it's too soon? I have eggs in the incubator due on the 30th and I want to make room in the brooder for them.

I need the oppinion of my Utah peeps. I live in South Central utah...they temps this week are really nice until sunday, which we expect snow and temps to drop down to 35 degrees and Monday's Lo's are 23. I want to put my 2 week old chicks outside, with a heat lamp of course. Do you think it's too soon? I have eggs in the incubator due on the 30th and I want to make room in the brooder for them.
I've got some out there I just put out last night with a heat lamp. They are two weeks old. :) Did great. In our Nursery coop, so none of the older girls can get to them.

Cynthia---so glad you got a couple splash! Hope they both make it, and you get a girl there!! of course you had more black.....It's your destiny :p

jwoo---cute cute cute mix of chicks, the cochin is adorable....congrats on those cuties! Love how you could not even wait to take pics until they were out of the carton. haha---true love at first sight on those little ones :)

Thanks for the link Cynthia. I did not know I could still do it!

Cuuute chicks, jwoo. I love the color of that little Cochin! Congrats on the new babies
smile.png

I've noticed a difference in a few of the feed stores, too. The Salt Lake IFA on 21st was really good about watching their chicks for the first little while that they started getting them in. I've been in there several times since, and each time, it's like they're slowly getting more lax on it. I don't know if someone was in charge that got transferred or what, but when I was in there the other day, they had a couple bins of chicks that didn't even have a sign saying what breed they were, and no one working that day knew for sure, either. I've only been to the Cal Ranch in West Jordan a couple of times, so I didn't get a great look at their conditions, though I did see some pasty bums on the chicks there. The Cal Ranch in Tooele has been stellar, from what I've seen. Been in there a few times, and there's almost always an employee within sight of the brooders. They're very good at keeping an eye on the health of the chicks and moving anyone who's sick or getting beat up to the chick ICU.

Sorry, didn't mean to write a review column. Jwoo got me excited, I guess.
yeah the chicks did not look so hot yesterday at cal ranch, i think its because of the guy taking care of them, he is not the motherly type if you know what i mean and they normally have a different person taking care of them. not sure if you noticed but most of them were out of water and lots of people mentioned it to him and he was not happy about it lol. its a hit and miss with chicks at feed stores, some days they are great and others not. i think it has a lot to do with how busy they are and who is taking care of them.

yeah the chicks did not look so hot yesterday at cal ranch, i think its because of the guy taking care of them, he is not the motherly type if you know what i mean and they normally have a different person taking care of them. not sure if you noticed but most of them were out of water and lots of people mentioned it to him and he was not happy about it lol. its a hit and miss with chicks at feed stores, some days they are great and others not. i think it has a lot to do with how busy they are and who is taking care of them.

Yep, I'll agree with that. I've noticed that there are a couple of younger girls that work at the IFA on 21st that really keep a good eye on those chicks, but they aren't always there. I guess not everyone is in tune with their mothering instincts
big_smile.png

I took my two teenage pullets out in the back yard after work today and let them run around. It was very entertaining to watch, particularly when their first airplane went over. They both stopped, looked up, and then dashed back into their kennel like, "Oh my gosh, what is that?!" After a few airplanes, though, they figured out that the big birds weren't going to hurt them. They're definitely a lot better about being handled than they were when I first got them. Wow, was that really a month ago? Man, these guys grow fast!

welcome-byc.gif
Argon! Incidentally, I feel really stupid that I've been going to the Ogden location of Cal Ranch. I had never noticed there was one in Layton. Duh!

Back
Top Bottom