Utah!

TSC is getting some chicks in on the 15th. We finally have one of those stores down this way.

The IFA in Spanish Fork has some chicks this week. Its starting!
celebrate.gif

@RedIII , and @Cynthia12 : Thank you! My point of view is that if I'm bored and not happy to be at school, my students will feel the same way. I sneak in "crafts" that they don't like us to such as string art when I can. I love trying to teach sixth grade boys to thread needles, they look at me so strangely when I tell them to put the thread in their mouths! I try to remember some of my fondest memories from grade school, and put things like that in throughout the year. One of my cohorts and I do a Christmas program, because we both loved being in programs. Hardly anyone does them anymore because they take up so much time.

• Spinning Carrie, Our family made spinning wheels in Salt Lake City and the Provo & Salem area from around 1858. We were producers of them in Denmark, amongst other things. But they were needed in early Utah and so we make a bunch down that way. Our family has mostly always kept sheep and the family spun and wove a brand of local cloth and such. We even imported flax into the area and worked with that fiber some. it did not work out as hoped, but early on one had to try to make anything you could. I of course don't tat, but i have developed an appreciation for all of the 'knot tying' skills the ladies do. Dying, washing, carding & spinning were all pretty much embedded into most of the family. After WWII and by the early sixties it has gone dormant. I kept the sheep into the mid eighties and now we just rent our farm out. Our pioneer farm is just too small to try and stay in it.
So I just love that you are keeping the old ways alive… and how blessed your children to have an exceptional teacher. We had bees in the 1960's and they were interesting. Thank you for your kind reply, I thought I spotted a spinner…

RJ

Is anyone setting eggs this week and has more room in their incubator? I have 3 Speckled Sussex eggs that need a surrogate mother. :)

Last edited:
I am so excited! If it does not fall through I will deliver the Brahma rooster to a new home tomorrow and they assure me he will not be soup and part of a Brahma flock!

@sideWing - I took my children to the Ogden IFA Tuesday. It took all my willpower to leave without chicks!
It's so cheap and easy to have them throw a few in a box and walk out of there! Luckley we have chicks at home in the brooder already.

• Spinning Carrie, Our family made spinning wheels in Salt Lake City and the Provo & Salem area from around 1858. We were producers of them in Denmark, amongst other things. But they were needed in early Utah and so we make a bunch down that way. Our family has mostly always kept sheep and the family spun and wove a brand of local cloth and such. We even imported flax into the area and worked with that fiber some. it did not work out as hoped, but early on one had to try to make anything you could. I of course don't tat, but i have developed an appreciation for all of the 'knot tying' skills the ladies do. Dying, washing, carding & spinning were all pretty much embedded into most of the family. After WWII and by the early sixties it has gone dormant. I kept the sheep into the mid eighties and now we just rent our farm out. Our pioneer farm is just too small to try and stay in it.
So I just love that you are keeping the old ways alive… and how blessed your children to have an exceptional teacher. We had bees in the 1960's and they were interesting. Thank you for your kind reply, I thought I spotted a spinner…

RJ
RJ that is so freaking cool. What a great history your family has.

Really? I want a black sex link and a white leghorn again. :) Maybe another RSL.
They had brown and white leghorn, easter eggers, Australorp, RIR. They are hatchery grade, but they are ready to go! All of them were a week old too.

Back
Top Bottom