Utah!

I have a beautiful Mille Fleur D'uccle hen that is only about 8 months old and is laying daily...but she is LOUD! I can't have loud critters in the city of St George where we live... I'm selling her for what I paid which is $10 She is currently laying one tiny egg a day...

Does anyone know specifics about Utah right to farm laws? I've had chickens for 7 years. In Pleasant View where I live on over 0.5 acres I am zoned for 2 cows, 2 pigs, 2 goats, 50 chickens, 10 turkey, 20 rabbits and Guinea hens. Well apparently a neighbor called animal control the just moved in a few months ago and complained about my rooster. I have had roosters off and on the whole time but this one only since June. I had called the city offices and they told me since the zoning code says chickens, which is a gender neutral term, I can have roosters. Nowhere in the code does it specify I can't have roosters. So the head city zoning worker is now saying the city worker that told me that doesn't know what she was talking about and I can't have roosters because they are against the noise ordinance. It just says unreasonable noise or something like that. It doesn't specifically mention roosters. Does the right to farm act protect me? The guy didn't even come listen to my rooster or anything. It's a little bantam cochin. It does crow off and on through out the day but nothing louder than the dogs around.

Does anyone know specifics about Utah right to farm laws? I've had chickens for 7 years. In Pleasant View where I live on over 0.5 acres I am zoned for 2 cows, 2 pigs, 2 goats, 50 chickens, 10 turkey, 20 rabbits and Guinea hens. Well apparently a neighbor called animal control the just moved in a few months ago and complained about my rooster. I have had roosters off and on the whole time but this one only since June. I had called the city offices and they told me since the zoning code says chickens, which is a gender neutral term, I can have roosters. Nowhere in the code does it specify I can't have roosters. So the head city zoning worker is now saying the city worker that told me that doesn't know what she was talking about and I can't have roosters because they are against the noise ordinance. It just says unreasonable noise or something like that. It doesn't specifically mention roosters. Does the right to farm act protect me? The guy didn't even come listen to my rooster or anything. It's a little bantam cochin. It does crow off and on through out the day but nothing louder than the dogs around.

Have you read the noise ordinance? Does it specifically state no roosters...I'm not supposed to have roosters where I live in St George, but I have 3, I take them inside and put them in a kennel at night and put them back out after they're done crowing in the morning....it's a pain, but it's one possible option.

I have a Barred Rock (mix?) Cockerel I need to re-home asap. He's about 7 weeks old and has started picking at my young hens. I'll have to put him down in the next couple of days if I can't find him a good home. He's already on KSL. I'm in North Ogden.

2017-11-20 17.43.05.jpg

Have you read the noise ordinance? Does it specifically state no roosters...I'm not supposed to have roosters where I live in St George, but I have 3, I take them inside and put them in a kennel at night and put them back out after they're done crowing in the morning....it's a pain, but it's one possible option.
It doesn't say anything specifically about roosters. It say I can have 50 chickens. They are just going after me with the nose ordinance saying they are too loud. We asked the head zoning guy and he just said he gets to decide if something is too loud. Sounds ridiculous to me.

Where do you get your chicken feed? I went to IFA and their feed was confusing, plus, nothing was above 16% protein. I tried CAL Ranch and theirs was all either chick crumble or layer food. I want a good grower food that has 20%+ protein that I can feed my chickens from here on out with supplemental oyster shell. CAL Ranch did have some 'new' MeatBird food, but mine aren't meat birds so I wasn't sure it would be sufficient. UGH, I hate trying to decipher the thousands of kinds of food. Oh, Chewey.com had some chicken food with higher protein but a 25lb bag was $33. If that's all I can find I'll get it, but seems most food is $13-18 for a 50lb bag so I'd rather find it locally.

Where do you get your chicken feed? I went to IFA and their feed was confusing, plus, nothing was above 16% protein. I tried CAL Ranch and theirs was all either chick crumble or layer food. I want a good grower food that has 20%+ protein that I can feed my chickens from here on out with supplemental oyster shell. CAL Ranch did have some 'new' MeatBird food, but mine aren't meat birds so I wasn't sure it would be sufficient. UGH, I hate trying to decipher the thousands of kinds of food. Oh, Chewey.com had some chicken food with higher protein but a 25lb bag was $33. If that's all I can find I'll get it, but seems most food is $13-18 for a 50lb bag so I'd rather find it locally.

I feed my flock of ducks and chickens a mix of Gamebird/showbird feed (24% protein) Flock Raiser 18% and Purina Layena layer feed.
They also get Calf mana pellets, scratch and black oil sunflower seeds 2-3 times a week
I buy all my feed at Cal Ranch

For grower feed/starter feed for young/juvenile chicks/ducklings I feed a mix of Purina Flock raiser/starter (green bag non medicated) and Manna Pro Gamebird/showbird starter feed ( yellow bag, non medicated) I have had great success with this mix for starting out little ones... also when my adults are needing a boost, This is the mix I give them in addition to their grown up feed...

Back
Top Bottom