Uterus coming out of vent

Above the advice from eggessive is right on target! I would follow that to a tee. I also wanted to say how sorry I am that this has happened! I recently lost one that was a internal layer. She suffered with female issues her whole life bless her heart, and finally it got too much . It just breaks my heart that vets charge so much ! I mean, who can afford that kind of money? Not me! I've tried my best to read as much as I can about the health but we can only try. Its in God's hands after that. Please keep us posted about her condition. I really hope she recovers! Poor thing! It does look as if something got ahold of the tissue and pulled it the rest of the way out to be so severe. Chickens will do that if they notice blood or tissue on another bird. They sometimes kill or even eat at the sight of blood. That could be what happened. I wish you the very best and sincerely hope she fully recovers. Keep us posted.

Thank you so much guys! So I should just gently try to push it back in? Do I just do it with 1 finger or what?

Sorry for the late response. Normally a prolapse is sticking out about an inch or inch and a half. That is pushed back inside with some lubricant. If there are several inches sticking out, I would just try to see if any will go in. It may be too swollen or damaged but you could try. It is hard to see details in the pictures. I wish I could help you do this. Many of these injured chickens won't make it, or may need to be put down. I hope she can be saved.

Even if you get it to go back in, this chicken will die. The attachments that suspend her oviduct in place so that it will receive an egg are broken or it would not be out of her body that far. That means, even if you put it back in, it cannot receive an egg. The egg will release from the ovary nonetheless, which will put it out into the abdomen where it will be considered a foreign body....ascites will soon be evident as fluid collects around the object causing inflammation in the abdomen. As each egg releases from the ovary, more and more abdominal discomfort and fluid will collect. Why put her through that?

It would be far more merciful to put this bird down.

If there is a possibility she can live, I want to try. I cleaned it up quite a bit just now. Soaked her in Epsom salt bath and cut off the feathers soaked in blood. What should I do before I try to stick it back in. Here's some pictures. She doesn't like me lifting her tail and messing around back there, but they're the best pictures I could get

I'm gonna clean it up a bit more than try to stick it in tomorrow. She's sleeping for the night though. Just need some tips on how to do it. She's eating, drinking and pooping still

Here's a pic of what you are facing......the oviduct, or what you are wanting to stick back in the chicken, is the white organ that lies above the large intestine and is connected to it somewhat by a small opening into the cloaca. Getting that prolapsed organ back into that small opening is your problem...if you just stick it back in the cloaca, you risk sticking it into the large intestine instead. When there is just a slight prolapse of that organ, the hen can often restore it to the interior of that orifice on her own if it's tucked back into the vent itself and has something to take down the swelling prior to. A massive prolapse like you have there is hugely more difficult.

She's not doing as well today. There was a lot of blood beneath her this morning. I put her in the bath and then cleaned up the protruding part and put some of that preparation h ointment on her. I tried sticking it in a little and some of it went in, but not all. Then I laid down with her for about 30-40 minutes cause she was just laying down in a ball with her eyes closed. Then when I got up, she got up and started moving around a bit. She ate a couple bites of bread but not much

Back
Top Bottom