Robinbirdlady

Hatching
Mar 10, 2024
Hello,

I need some help with my chicken. She has been laying some pretty weird eggs for about 4 months. They are wrinkly but hard (I will post pictures). But today I noticed that when she was pooping there was this white thing hanging out of her vent. I tried to investigate but it got sucked back in. There seems to be some yellow/ clear watery stuff coming out of her vent and I’m noticing a bit of a smell. So I decided to clean her up and soak her in a warm bath and spray her with vectericyn. A few minutes later I noticed her vent was a bit buldgy and this white long tube was hanging out. I grabbed her and gently pulled it out. Her bottom looks normal now but she is puffed up and I can tell she isn’t feeling well. Normally she roostes but tonight I found her in the nesting box. I will post a picture of the thing I pulled out. Which I’m guessing is a soft egg or part of it at least. What do I do here? What’s wrong with her?

Attachments

• IMG_2736.jpeg
    IMG_2736.jpeg
    431.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2735.jpeg
    IMG_2735.jpeg
    467.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2741.png
    IMG_2741.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2743.png
    IMG_2743.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
Have you noticed any of your chickens sneezing in the past or recently? Wrinkled eggshells and other abnormal shells can sometimes be a sign of infectious bronchitis virus. Sometimes she pull problems are from salpingitis or shell gland problems. I would start some calcium citrate with vitamin D 1 tablet daily given into her beak to swallow. It can be found in the Equate brand or other generic at Walmart and pharmacies.Tums or other calcium will do until you can get the calcium citrate. Do you have access to any amoxicillin or antibiotics?

Have you noticed any of your chickens sneezing in the past or recently? Wrinkled eggshells and other abnormal shells can sometimes be a sign of infectious bronchitis virus. Sometimes she pull problems are from salpingitis or shell gland problems. I would start some calcium citrate with vitamin D 1 tablet daily given into her beak to swallow. It can be found in the Equate brand or other generic at Walmart and pharmacies.Tums or other calcium will do until you can get the calcium citrate. Do you have access to any amoxicillin or antibiotics?
I haven’t noticed any sneezing. I’ve been paying attention to that since the wrinkly eggs started. I do think the shells are quite thin on her wrinkly eggs as well. How long do I give the calcium citrate? I don’t have any antibiotics available

To give Calcium Citrate, just pop the tablet into the beak and let her swallow.

The wrinkly egg may be due to respiratory illness, but I wonder about the pattern on that egg and how long that strip of folded membrane has been in the system trying to be passed.
Hopefully the Calcium with help her expel any more material, but I would still consider sourcing an antibiotic to help with infection - you mention an odor and she's not feeling well.

Back
Top Bottom