Uterus coming out of vent

If there is a possibility she can live, I want to try. I cleaned it up quite a bit just now. Soaked her in Epsom salt bath and cut off the feathers soaked in blood. What should I do before I try to stick it back in. Here's some pictures. She doesn't like me lifting her tail and messing around back there, but they're the best pictures I could get

I'm gonna clean it up a bit more than try to stick it in tomorrow. She's sleeping for the night though. Just need some tips on how to do it. She's eating, drinking and pooping still

Here's a pic of what you are facing......the oviduct, or what you are wanting to stick back in the chicken, is the white organ that lies above the large intestine and is connected to it somewhat by a small opening into the cloaca. Getting that prolapsed organ back into that small opening is your problem...if you just stick it back in the cloaca, you risk sticking it into the large intestine instead. When there is just a slight prolapse of that organ, the hen can often restore it to the interior of that orifice on her own if it's tucked back into the vent itself and has something to take down the swelling prior to. A massive prolapse like you have there is hugely more difficult.

I am always reluctant to tell someone to put a chicken down if there is a chance they can possibly save it. Beekissed, who has decades of chicken experience, has pointed out the seriousness of this issue, and the advice on how pushing it back in may cause more problems. I tend to agree that she may need to be put down. If the prolapse was caught early and pushed back in before it was apparently pulled out more or injured by the other chickens, the outcome may have been more promising. Let us know how it goes, if you get the prolapse back inside, or if you decide to cull her. If she has been laying, placing her in a dark room or covered cage for 16 hours every night can help her to stop laying for a few weeks.

She's not doing as well today. There was a lot of blood beneath her this morning. I put her in the bath and then cleaned up the protruding part and put some of that preparation h ointment on her. I tried sticking it in a little and some of it went in, but not all. Then I laid down with her for about 30-40 minutes cause she was just laying down in a ball with her eyes closed. Then when I got up, she got up and started moving around a bit. She ate a couple bites of bread but not much

I also noticed this on her towel. I think she pooped it out and it's something I've never seen before.

I also noticed this on her towel. I think she pooped it out and it's something I've never seen before.

That's called a lash egg or egg tumor, which is likely why she prolapsed in the first place...these are hard to advance down the oviduct due to their shape and texture, as the oviduct is a very flaccid, thin membrane that sort of hangs suspended from the back of the chicken, a hard egg advances more smoothly down this tube. The lash eggs sort of feel like a bowel movement to the chicken, so she strains and strains to get these out and will sometimes prolapse due to this straining. It's likely this came out of the interior/recesses of the already prolapsed uterus when she strained to poop.

That chicken is suffering.

She's not doing as well today. There was a lot of blood beneath her this morning. I put her in the bath and then cleaned up the protruding part and put some of that preparation h ointment on her. I tried sticking it in a little and some of it went in, but not all. Then I laid down with her for about 30-40 minutes cause she was just laying down in a ball with her eyes closed. Then when I got up, she got up and started moving around a bit. She ate a couple bites of bread but not much

So sorry you're going though this.
hugs.gif
This looks like more than just a prolapse, it looks like she might also have an infection of her repro-tract, which is probably why your hen is so sick right now. This is something that you cannot treat by yourself, so if you can afford it, it would be best to have a vet look at her. Office visit/exam during normal hours should $45-$65, emergency fee if you went tonight is probably an additional $50-$75. Medications and/or treatment(s) would be on top of that.

If you can't afford it, and don't feel bad if you can't, you should be ready to euthanize when she gets worse.

Google "salpingitis in poultry", "avian medicine prolapse", and "avian medicine salpingitis". Lots of info there.

Vet search links:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1048640/avian-vet-search-links

Last edited:
My Black Sex Link is 2 yrs and 5 mos old. The other day, we noticed a bump on her vent and a lot of blood and puss. I took her to the vet to find out what was wrong, and she said her uterus is coming out. She said it turned inside out like a sock and she'll die without surgery. Surgery is $1500, which I can't afford.

I'm sure the vets not wrong, but does anyone know of anything I can do to keep her alive? I need to bandage it up, because she's been picking. How can I do that? She's eating, drinking and pooping. How can I make her comfy? I've been giving her warm baths every night too to soak it. Any ideas?
Wow, sorry I missed this and all the other posts on page one ... might be best just to euthanize her.
hugs.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom