Utility Type?

Feleena

Chirping
Aug 3, 2015
Went in to our local feed store the other day and picked up a "Chick Days Info Sheet"...when I got it home I noticed next to the day old Welsummers it says "Utility Type"...what does this mean? Thanks!!

I'd never heard of a utility type chicken until you mentioned it now, but I just did a little research and it would appear it means that the breed is commercially viable for whatever it's purpose (either meat or eggs). So probably not bred to breed standards, but rather for high production.

Once again though, I just did a little research and the internet is rarely very accurate. The definition could probably change by region too. I'm sure someone else will come along and clarify soon.

yes right after I posted I did a little google search myself and yes looks like almost a dual purpose type thing! Thanks!! :)

I found that too in seperate article after I answered you, so I think it does depend on the area you live :) Good luck with your flock
jumpy.gif

Hi, utility means the bird has been bred with production virtues in mind without regard for considering breed hallmarks as a first priority. It's like the difference between a dog bred for working virtues and one bred with the show ring in mind. The two fields of endeavor don't have to be mutually exclusive. In fact, in great specimens of a breed both endeavors excel. The measure of greatness is the measure of the perfection of the union between form and function. It takes concerted effort to breed to the standard. The hatcheries usually breed for utilitarian virtues because that is usually why people come to buy their birds.
Best, Karen

Back
Top Bottom