Utilizing the Chicken Yard

I would think make raised beds plant what you want for chickens place a topper over it like chicken wire. they can't scratch it out. It would be able to grow as theey eat.

Its very climate dependent, but I commend you for offering variety. This (while incomplete) may prove instructive - its my biodiverse polyculture (my acres of weeds) - all managed by hand, no heavy equipment at all. Even with a moderate flock and a couple goats its growing faster than they can eat it.

and while I'm aware of the nutritional aspects of kudzu, it arrived here in the US at the behest of very dedicated people, likely meaning well, who had the same thought. That has so far gone very badly for the SE US. I do NOT recommend.
I promise you I will take my planting of Kudzu very seriously. It will be used t benefit my family. I will plant it. Was there any other plant selection you disagreed with?

I would think make raised beds plant what you want for chickens place a topper over it like chicken wire. they can't scratch it out. It would be able to grow as theey eat.
I will definitely implement this method among others to ensure the plants ability to establish. Was there any plant you would add to my list? Anything you would take off?

I promise you I will take my planting of Kudzu very seriously. It will be used t benefit my family. I will plant it. Was there any other plant selection you disagreed with?
@aart covered the invasive olive. Nothing else jumped out at me, but I'm not personally familiar with some. Zone 8a is the furthest north I've ever lived.

Every plant should grow in zone 8 on my list.
you've outed me. I'm not a gardener. ;)

The American Beauty Berry /French Mulberry work well for me. I have LOTS of grasses. a few grains. Plenty of herbs. Legumes are hard, I've got three clovers going, not much else. Plus native blackberry (thorns, sadly), purple passion fruit, and muscadine grapes. Have planted blueberry, additional grapes. Rape seed, Austrian peas, vetch and flax should all be no till winter crops - only the flax has done well. qand radish efforts have mostly been for naught.

It works for me, but can be improved. I need moire grains and grass seeds - working on amaranth, sorrel, and more sorghum now. Avoiding corn and sunflower - both are cheap and low value.

Last edited:
you've outed me. I'm not a gardener. ;)

The American Beauty Berry /French Mulberry work well for me. I have LOTS of grasses. a few grains. Plenty of herbs. Legumes are hard, I've got three clovers going, not much else. Plus native blackberry (thorns, sadly), purple passion fruit, and muscadine grapes. Have planted blueberry, additional grapes. Rape seed, Austrian peas, vetch and flax should all be no till winter crops - only the flax has done well. qand radish efforts have mostly been for naught.

It works for me, but can be improved. I need moire grains and grass seeds - working on amaranth and more sorghum now.
You are being humble, you seem to know plenty. Im surprised legumes are hard for you, what have you tried?

You are being humble, you seem to know plenty. Im surprised legumes are hard for you, what have you tried?
I am many things. Nevery humble. Mostly an insufferable @$$, best in small doses.

and I am a terrible gardener.

So far - four varieties of clover (red, white, yellow, crimson) of which the white is doing ok, the yellow is just hanging on, and the red and crimson are basically specimins at this point. Chufa failed! (too much clay in my soil, plus poor planting - I didn't drill it or till it). I've a few small bunches in the sandier areas, hoping it spreads. Austrian/Winter peas - two different years - both failed. Never got to flowers. Vetch does ok, briefly. Have a tiny bit of trefoil. Can't get alfalfa to work.

Have done MUCH better with prairie grasses - but in addition to my high clay content, I'm on one of the few legitimate hills in FL - i don't l have the loose, well drained sandy soils that would really help. Hoping that once the grasses are better established, and that the 1+ of rain I get each weak aren't washing away my topsoils, that my options will improve

I am many things. Nevery humble. Mostly an insufferable @$$, best in small doses.

and I am a terrible gardener.

So far - four varieties of clover (red, white, yellow, crimson) of which the white is doing ok, the yellow is just hanging on, and the red and crimson are basically specimins at this point. Chufa failed! (too much clay in my soil, plus poor planting - I didn't drill it or till it). I've a few small bunches in the sandier areas, hoping it spreads. Austrian/Winter peas - two different years - both failed. Never got to flowers. Vetch does ok, briefly. Have a tiny bit of trefoil. Can't get alfalfa to work.

Have done MUCH better with prairie grasses - but in addition to my high clay content, I'm on one of the few legitimate hills in FL - i don't l have the loose, well drained sandy soils that would really help. Hoping that once the grasses are better established, and that the 1+ of rain I get each weak aren't washing away my topsoils, that my options will improve
With clay soil you need something that will "till it naturally" I would try some daikon radish.

Back
Top Bottom