Va. - 2 Muscovy Ducks In Need of a New Home

MissPrissy

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
May 7, 2007
Forks, Virginia
I have two beautiful muscovy ducks that we raised from 4 day old ducklings. We got them on July 6, 2007. Their hatch date was 2 July 2007.

babyducks.jpg

They have been well cared for by my children. They have never tolerated much handling so we have let them be. They are fed Blue Seal game bird feed, insects, fish, etc. since the day we got them. They swim in a little wading pool which is cleaned several times a week. They have reached a large size as witness to their care.

muscovy1.jpg

We felt we were rescueing them from horrid conditions when we got them and feel we have done our duty to give them a good life as they reach their adulthood.

muscovy2.jpg

Now it is time for them to have a permanent home beyond the little space we have been able to give them to keep them safe.

muscovy3.jpg

I do not know how to sex them. One is much larger than the other and we think it is a male.

If you are interested in adding two gorgeous ducks to your property where they could be allowed access to a pond and would be able to live out their natural lives please contact us via the email link in my profile. I am located in Orange Co., Va. easily accessable from Culpeper, Fredericksburg or Charlottesville.

I am asking $20 for the pair to cover the cost of their feed.

We will not ship. Pick up only.

Thank you.

Last edited:
I have a hard time giving away muscovys in NC. We just pulled 200 of them from a shopping center pond.

I know a rescuer in VA that would take the ducks but she isnt going to pay you for them.

Miss Prissy... I know you dont want to send them to a shelter... I know you want to find them a good home!!! I am trying to convince DH into letting me get them.... If I do get them... they will have 40 acres, a full creek of fish and water, and tons of friends!!! Will I have to keep them seperate from the others for a while??? That might be the determining factor. I will send email if he says yes... Please let me know if you find another home if I have not contacted you by then... I also need to know where you are... It says Central VA... that is where I am.

By the way they are just beautiful!!!!

Last edited:
No takers yet, Windy. I do hope you can take them.

The ducks won't need as much care like chickens do.

You can put them out at your pond. Give them a helping hand with a bit of shelter because fall is fastly approaching in our area and winter won't be far behind. They need time to adjust to a new place and to settle in for colder weather. I have a rubbermaid container we cut out an opening for and filled with pine shavings that they sleep in and use to get out of the rain. You don't need anything special. You can have the container if you want it but it is getting cramped as they grow and they will soon need a larger one to rest comfortably in.

You can let them fend for themselves for the most part but also supplement them with wild game bird feed if you feel they aren't getting proper nutrition on their own. If you want to keep them close at hand feed them daily or they may wander off to places unknown in search of food.

They are sweet and lovely birds. I really want them to go to some place where they can live out there life in a natural setting of a pond or stream and fields to wander.

If you take them I would suggest keeping them penned for a bit to help learn that where they are is home. Then turn them out to enjoy their new home.

It has been suggested that we put them in the freezer but for once I have a real problem with this idea.

We raised them from babies. Being the only waterfowl on our property we had to take special means for them. Every single day for the first 6 weeks of their life they swam in my kitchen sink in a nice tub of luke warm water. They were hand fed and babied alot. Our younger daughters raised them and they are indeed pets and not part of the food chain around here.

I am in Orange Co., Va. I might could arrange to meet you somewhere to transfer them in you can take them.

Last edited:
My scovies are so cool and they take care of themselves most of the time. Love the sounds the hens make too. MP wish I was closer.

ML

Back
Top Bottom