Vacation during winter set up

Mrichard0930

Songster
7 Years
Sep 15, 2016
Hello we are going on our honeymoon for 12 days and I’m starting to prepare to keep my pet ducks alive. There are two pekin females almost 2 years old. They have a 12X12 ft actual shed enclosure for house. They have a run with a trap door built to open and close. Normal days we open it in morning and shut at night which run is enclosed. Food and water normally out in run. Our family cannot check every day but every other possibly every 3 days worst case scenario. So plan is a galvanized short pale with heater plugged in from run extension outdoor chord. Lined with tarp to prevent mess hopefully. And two buckets of food opposed to one we have a kitty liter container with hole cut so that and another bucket of food. Will my ducks be okay? I read they can go a week without food and water which I know our family wouldn’t let a week go by. We have security cameras on them and I should be able to link and check on them but out in mountains we have terrible service so I’m just worried. Our family will check and provide food and water if needed-I’m sure water mainly. But how about being locked up? I’m worried they will not be very happy but I told our family I’d rather them locked up In shed then left out with run open because our run is not completely secure meaning bottom wasn’t lined with hardware cloth it initially was our turkey pen but changed to duck so wasn’t planned right. We have all kinds of animals in mountains so even if it was lined nothing would make the run bear proof. The shed is very secure nothing would get them at all. Any suggestions or feedback on this plan would be helpful. I’m just stressing and nervous and I don’t want to be nervous during honeymoon. Thanks !!

Congrats on getting married! Our neighbor keeps ducks in and out all winter in northern Michigan and she says they always make it despite the temps. Sounds like yours will have plenty of food and heated water and have each other's warmth and company. I have a lone chicken that hasn't been outside more than a few minutes since the end of October and he is healthy and going strong. I'm sure your ducks will just be extra glad to see you when you get back! :)

Okay thank you for that info. I just feel bad they won’t have their normal routine of getting grapes and me seeing them. His family won’t be able to even check everyday. I just hope every other day is enough. I was worried about them being in the shed and no run but it’s pretty big area for two ducks . Well it’s been cold here and hey actually stay in there majority of the day anyway.

Congrats on getting married! Our neighbor keeps ducks in and out all winter in northern Michigan and she says they always make it despite the temps. Sounds like yours will have plenty of food and heated water and have each other's warmth and company. I have a lone chicken that hasn't been outside more than a few minutes since the end of October and he is healthy and going strong. I'm sure your ducks will just be extra glad to see you when you get back! :)

Congratulations on getting married! Not sure what is available in your area but you could try doing an online search for pet sitters in your area. Obviously would be more of a cost but you could have someone come once or twice a day to check on the ducks and give them fresh water, food and treats. Depending on where you live it shouldn't be more than $20 a day for 1 visit. You could ask them to text you daily to let you know how the babies are doing so you don't have to worry.
You can ask them for references and check online reviews to make sure they are trustworthy and have them come to the house to meet with you before your trip.
My husband and I have taken care of all types of critters (chickens, goats, horses, pigs) not just cats and dogs so you may be able to find someone.
Hope you have a great trip :)

Yes, congratulations on getting married..and focus on THAT..not the ducks. And that comes from a lady with 43 ducks! Lol..ok..so, I’d rather they be inside than out..so, I agree there. It’ll stink..but, that’s ok...is there enough ventilation..I’m sure you know about the amonia in their poopy. And it can be toxic...so just ventilation is key. The water is important for the food to go down..ducks can’t eat without drinking...they choke. I say, better to have more than not enough. As for freezing.. I read online..not sure if it works but I’m trying it now...putting 1/4 cup salt in water bottle and float in water will slow freezing because salt water doesn’t freeze. Worth a shot. Asking the neighbors or a bridesmaid...is a great idea....they could take turns so it wouldn’t be too much...and the trial run..another great idea..it will set your mind at ease and cause less stress on the ducks because it’ll be less time and they’ll know you’re coming back...keep us posted!

Back
Top Bottom