Vacation in the summer for two weeks? Who will watch my chickens?

goldeneggtees

Fluffy Butt Nut
10 Years
Mar 11, 2009
Long Island, NY
Hi, we just became owners of 8 b/o chicks, now about 5-6 weeks old. I have a question, we usually go away for two weeks every summer to a cabin in the Adirondacks. Does anyone have any advice on who to ask to watch them and advice on how to care for them while we are away?

Whenever my husband and I leave town we ask his parents to watch our birds. They live less than 10 minutes away, so it's easy for them to drive over. We just ask that they let them out in the morning and lock them up at night. They get to keep all the eggs.

For chickens we would completely fill the feeders and waterers so the in-laws wouldn't have to mess with getting them feed.

Just choose someone trustworthy, and who hopefully has some knowledge of chickens.

I asked other poultry owners in my area about it. We just went out of town for a week recently and though I called all the vet clinics, I could not find anyone!
Finally one of my poultry friends told me of a lady that came and helped her out a few days a week and once I talked to the lady I realized we knew each other from when she worked at PetsMart. She turned out to be a wonderful farm sitter for us.
We have over 200 chickens, around 70 Guinea pigs in the house plus 7 cats, fish tanks, a rabbit and a horse (outside) that she had to deal with. I was very happy when I got home.
My advice is to keep looking and asking. Someone should turn up.

That's kinda something you should plan before getting an animal.... If you have no neighbors or relatives willing to watch them then if you are willing to have a stranger do it you can try asking at the vet or even pet stores. There are often people advertising pet sitting services at those places around here. Then you can ask the vet staff or pet store employees for recommendations on reliable people.

I'm taking off next weekend and paying my youngest sister(13 years old) to house sit for me. She's coming over today so I can show her what to do. Then I'll fill every feeder and waterer I have before I leave.

build a tractor and bring them with you! lol.

My inlaws house sit for us recently, but generally I make it a practice of keeping tabs on a new well thought of, church going, quite, unlicensed teenagers (15-16 years old) who take turns house sitting for us.

If theyre trustworthy and decent kids with attentive parents who are close to your house they make excellent house sitters. They love the freedom of their own place for practicing what they've learned about adult living, they have access to my free nationwide calling plan, and free use of my computer and kitchen. Upon approval I might let them bring a friend.

I find girls seem to be more trustworthy, boys tend to spend the days at friends houses.

That sounds queer I suppose... but for 50 bucks a week its always worked out well for us.

We ask our in-laws also, and they get to keep the eggs...
If you could find someone that has lost their job and could use the pay or eggs that would be good.

While we are new to chickens, we have had 4 dogs for several years. My BIL and SIL let the dogs out, and our neighbors keep an eye on the house for us, as well. We have a teenage boy that is a neighbor also, he has let the dogs out for us on occasion. The chickens are a novelty now around our neighborhood, and we asked another neighbor to check in on them. We are planning a two week trip next month. I always get nervous, but we have never had any problems!

Keep asking around, you will find someone you feel comfortable with!

That's a great job for a teenager. I remember making more money pet sitting in the summer than I could babysitting. And you're right....girls tend to be a bit more reliable.
smile.png

You are smart to be planning for this now. With just 8 chickens to mind, you should be able to either have a neighbor come once a day to replenish food & water, or find another chicken keeper in your area to trade the favor with. When I have someone tending my flock I try to make things as simple as possible for them, not expecting them to do more than the essentials needed for their care. I clean the coop myself before I leave so they don't have to. And of course, all the eggs they collect are theirs to keep.

I have a friend who also keeps chickens and lives about a mile away. We always trade the favor of watching each other's flocks. With really large flocks you'd need to employ someone reliable to tend to all their needs. Or find someone else with an equally large flock and trade the favor.

Back
Top Bottom