Vacation?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by V-NH, Jul 29, 2013.

1. V-NH

V-NH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Hello everyone,

I recently got married and a week from now I am leaving on a weeklong honeymoon. The problem is, I have lots of chickens! I have two pens, one with adults and another with five week old feathered out chicks. For the adults, I plan to give them a few 20 pound feeders worth of food and a kiddie pool with water in it in addition to their 5 gallon waterer. I am at a complete loss regarding what to do with the chicks though. Having someone check in on them is not an option, as I live very far away from close friends and family. I'm considering selling off all of the baby chicks and just starting over again when we get back.

Any thoughts?

2. ericmcginn5

ericmcginn5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2013
    is you chick coop big enof to put a kittie pool in. if you do put a pool in put rocks in it if wored they will drown. i would not give them away if your only leaving for a week but thats just me. you can put a biggger feed out too

3. Chickens R Us

Chickens R Us Chillin' With My Peeps

What about coworkers or put an add in local paper for an animal sitter,high school student of a friend or coworker.

4. ericmcginn5

ericmcginn5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2013
    you could also give your eggs from your adult chickens to why wachs them

5. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    So how many days total will you be gone? Five or seven? How many birds do you have in each pen? Will they have access to an enclosed run or are they coop-bound? How many large capacity feeders and waterers do you have? I saw your sig line, and I'd be most concerned with the ducks getting clean water more than anything else.

You can turn empty one gallon milk containers or 2 liter soda bottles into feeders and waterers for the chickens. Give the pool to the ducks. You won't need to sell off the chicks, they're the easiest part of your list.

6. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    how do you turn milk jugs into feeders?

7. V-NH

V-NH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2013
    New Hampshire
    My adult chickens have a 200 sq ft enclosed run, my chicks are in a 64 sq ft enclosed run, and my ducks are in a 150 sq ft enclosed run. I'll be gone for a total of 7 days. I don't think I have anyone in the area that can take care of them, although I am looking. If worst comes to worst, I just need to find a way to provide them with enough food and water to last while I am gone.

8. Hayduke27

Hayduke27 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2013
    Gunnison, CO
    It wouldn't be so hard if you could just find a chicksitter. I agree with finding somebody to watch them. You could easily make that happen for 7 days if you find the right person.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by