Vacations and Chickens

We do it all the time, even a week, never had any issues. We used to just leave the coop door open to a small enclosed run, then put in a solar door that lets them out into their normal large run that’s fenced. Used to lose occasionally to a bobcat (even when we were home), then put a hot wire around the top, grounded to the fence itself, and haven’t since. Knock on wood. :)

Water on a float system so it’s always full, and a 20lb hanging feeder will keep 8 birds going for a week or so with a little forage. Someone earlier made the point about making sure your feed stays dry—critical. And if you really want to go longer, you might need roll-out egg boxes to prevent them breaking eggs occasionally...but even for a week we haven’t lost many eggs.

I always keep food and water in the coop. When I go away, I open a little door that they can get in and out of but not big enough for a large predator. They have shelter and water in the fenced in yard. In the end, I just can't let them tie me down and run my life.

I leave my flock of 6 in a secure and covered pen. I make sure they have plenty of water through a couple of waterers and plenty of food through 1 large hanging and 1 on the wall. They are fine. I left them for 4 days (almost) and three nights.

We do it all the time, even a week, never had any issues. We used to just leave the coop door open to a small enclosed run, then put in a solar door that lets them out into their normal large run that’s fenced. Used to lose occasionally to a bobcat (even when we were home), then put a hot wire around the top, grounded to the fence itself, and haven’t since. Knock on wood. :)

Water on a float system so it’s always full, and a 20lb hanging feeder will keep 8 birds going for a week or so with a little forage. Someone earlier made the point about making sure your feed stays dry—critical. And if you really want to go longer, you might need roll-out egg boxes to prevent them breaking eggs occasionally...but even for a week we haven’t lost many eggs.
That's encouraging, thank you!

I always keep food and water in the coop. When I go away, I open a little door that they can get in and out of but not big enough for a large predator. They have shelter and water in the fenced in yard. In the end, I just can't let them tie me down and run my life.
Yes! That was always my holdout on getting chickens. I'm feeling good about leaving them with all your positive comments! Thanks!

I'm comfortable leaving them alone for 3-4 days. If I go longer than that, I get a sitter. The sitter only has to come every three days, top off food/water, and collect eggs. Fresh, organic eggs are the payment. I never have trouble finding someone. Taking care of chickens is a fun novelty for a lot of folks, especially families with kids.

Back
Top Bottom