Vaccinate and worming hens?

Peeps298

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 28, 2010
Long Island, NY
Does anyone out there vaccinate their hens on their own? If so which vaccines do you use and what type of schedule? What do you guys use for worming your hens?

Thank you,

Ed

I have never vacinnated my chickens. As far as worming I have never seen any worms in their droppings to indicate that worming was needed. I have given them poke salat which is a natural way of worming. I also brought home a pumpkin this weekend as pumpkin seeds are another natural worming preventative I have read about on BYC. I also put DE in their food, coop, run. I know there is many views about the effectiveness of DE but thus far I have had no worms...can't say either way if DE has helped, but again I have had no sign of worms. I am personally a believer in DE.

Quote:
I have never vaccinated chickens. I worm my chickens on a schedule or as necessary depending on the weather. The soil here where I live is very condusive for worms. I've used wazine, valbazen, ivermectin and safeguard as well as a couple others to worm my chickens over the years.

churchx3,

Really? Poke salat, the plant that grows straight up with reddish trunk, green leaves, & purple berries? Do you feed them the berries, leaves, or both?

Quote:
I read on BYC that it is a good natural wormer for chickens...I strip the leaves off and give them leaves only. They are considered poisonous to humans unless cooked in a specific way, but chickens have no problems with them.

That is good info. That stuff is all over the place in down here in Alabama! And just raw pumpkin seeds?
I have been wanting to find a way to keep worms away without using chemicals! Thank you so much!
big_smile.png

Quote:
You can use the raw seeds right out of the pumpkin or if they are dried you can cut them up somewhat so they are easier for the chickens. I plan to keep some on hand along with poke salat to give them thru out the winter...thought I would freeze up batches and then thaw and provide thru out the cold winter months when these items are not normally available.

Back
Top Bottom