• Yes

Votes: 64 27.0%
  • No

Votes: 146 61.6%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 27 11.4%

• Total voters
Pics
My DIL bought three Marek's vaccinated juvenile chicks from a well-known mid-western hatchery this past June. By 7 months of age they had all died from Marek's, two of them with tumors. While Marek's vaccine doesn't keep chickens from getting Marek's it is supposedly rare for tumor development. So, either they weren't vaccinated like she was told, the vaccine didn't take or maybe the vaccine just doesn't work for anything anymore. The necropsies were done at the ISU Veterinary lab. Based on this experience I guess I would wonder, "Why bother?"

To be clear, getting Marek's vaccinations doesn't prevent my Dad's birds from contracting Marek's. It just keeps them from dying of Marek's. They are still carriers for the disease which is why he keeps a closed flock.
Marek's vaccination doesn't always prevent the birds from dying. It is supposed to prevent the tumors but it doesn't always do that, either. Lesson learned the hard way by my DIL

That’s awesome!! She sounds amazing. :love

Let me introduce "Cotton Top". I have no idea what breed she is. We know she's older than 10 but not her exact age (she was purchased as an already laying hen of ?? age). She did lay some eggs last season, occasionally, but none this season despite still doing her daily routine of sitting in the nest box (hardly surprising really given her age).

Cotton Top.jpg

The hens I bought locally are vaxxed, but after they live out their life with me I will not vaccinate my flock. But I also only raise a small flock for personal egg consumption. It really does hurt the immunity and "herd immunity" in the way that's being taught these days is a myth. Maybe one day when the manufacturers of vaccines can be held liable for their product and they adapt a newer version will I reconsider for my livestock. Humans should also consider the ramifications of injecting these without a tremendous study of the ingredients ...

Let me introduce "Cotton Top". I have no idea what breed she is. We know she's older than 10 but not her exact age (she was purchased as an already laying hen of ?? age). She did lay some eggs last season, occasionally, but none this season despite still doing her daily routine of sitting in the nest box (hardly surprising really given her age).

View attachment 2005121

She is beautiful. :love

She laid eggs last year!? :eek: :th

She is beautiful. :love She laid eggs last year!? :eek: :th

Only a few .. but yes.. I was VERY surprised and give her 500% respect for laying at her age. She's the only full sized hen in my flock so definitely her eggs.

Edit: AND.. to make it even more incredible.. I believe they were fertile too. My little roo (a banty x) must have really pulled out all his charm to win her over.. AND get a wing over hehe. :yesss:

Only a few .. but yes.. I was VERY surprised and give her 500% respect for laying at her age. She's the only full sized hen in my flock so definitely her eggs.

Edit: AND.. to make it even more incredible.. I believe they were fertile too. My little roo must have really pulled out all his charm to win her over.. AND get a wing over hehe. :yesss:

Hahaha that’s amazing!!! :lau :love

Hahaha that’s amazing!!! :lau :love

To keep in with the original purpose of the thread.. she's never had any vaccinations... and appears to be pretty bomb proof. I've had losses in the sebrights that I suspect were Mareks (but not the whole flock losses that others describe - only one or two) and the odd case of respiratory illness - all of which she's managed to avoid.

She would be a good poster chicken example of strong self immunity I'd say.

Back
Top Bottom