• Yes

Votes: 64 27.0%
  • No

Votes: 146 61.6%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 27 11.4%

• Total voters
Pics
I guess that your screen name should have clued me in! Have you tried here? If they can’t help then they should know who can:
https://www.mpi.govt.nz/protection-and-response/laboratories/national-animal-health-laboratory/
As far as your sebrights, they could of course have had some problem other than Marek’s. However, MDV is much more likely to cause disease in young birds. Also, you older birds might have been vaccinated at the hatchery, or you may have a mild enough strain that you have little overt disease in most birds. Good luck with your flock!
I know my original sebrights came to me un-vacc'd. The two roosters that were suspected of Mareks infection were chicks hatched and raised by my own hens and were the only two (out of 18 or so chicks of similar age) that had any issues. My flock does come into regular contact with wild birds so I'm assuming that they have come into contact with one of the milder strains and that I got "very" lucky at the time. You can believe that I watch all the flock very closely now for any similar symptoms.

I took a look at that site.. Nothign on offer that specifically mentions Mareks but An Avian Virus Isolation test will cost $300 NZ for each and every sample. $316NZ for an avian mycoplasma test.. My birds would have to lay golden eggs to warrant that sort of expense!!

I know my original sebrights came to me un-vacc'd. The two roosters that were suspected of Mareks infection were chicks hatched and raised by my own hens and were the only two (out of 18 or so chicks of similar age) that had any issues. My flock does come into regular contact with wild birds so I'm assuming that they have come into contact with one of the milder strains and that I got "very" lucky at the time. You can believe that I watch all the flock very closely now for any similar symptoms.

I took a look at that site.. Nothign on offer that specifically mentions Mareks but An Avian Virus Isolation test will cost $300 NZ for each and every sample. $316NZ for an avian mycoplasma test.. My birds would have to lay golden eggs to warrant that sort of expense!!
I hear you. Might still be worth calling and asking about their procedures - my diagnostic lab doesn’t really advertise the free necropsies. The NZ site does mention that they are interested in surveillance. It’s the poultry surveillance programs that might help you out. Virus isolation is not usually performed in the diagnosis of Marek’s. It’s diagnosed by gross necropsy and histopathology. At any rate, I hope that your flock is well and you won’t need necropsy services anytime soon!

My initial flock of hens was Mareks positive, I lost over 50% of my birds. I added vaccinated pullets in June 2019, quarantined them for 60 days, kept them separate for an additional 30 days while being able to free range for a few hours a day with the existing flock. It's too early to tell however they are currently happy and healthy, I'm hopeful this method will result in a better survival rate. We did end up with a Rooster from the June batch so breeding for resistance may also be in our future rather than vaccine however not sure I am ready for that!

The first batch we got from a hatchery were vaccinate. We did not know much about this at the time. So, it happened because they automatically vaccinate unless told otherwise by each individual customer.

We want strong chicks and no longer vaccinate. All the rest of the chicks we have are pretty much homegrown and have not been vaccinated.

I think so few chicken owners send a dead chicken for a necropsy, that the true infection rate is completely unknown. And since many chickens survive it, though still carry it - it's likely a much high rate of incidence than we think. Likewise - the weakened chicken could die from coccidiosis, or other illness, and the underlying infection would never be identified.

regardless - the chicks I'm ordering today will be vaccinated (except the cornishX)
Just got a dozen today... they said they will send it as soon as possible, I said I'll pay extra if they have them vaccinated before they send them... They agreed... :D:D:D

Back
Top Bottom