Vaccinated and fed medicated feed! yikes? or its okay?

MountainMamaWNC

In the Brooder
Apr 18, 2017
So this is my first year raising chicks and we purchased through mail order and had them vaccinated. My husband bought all supplies needed (feed, heat lamp and water/feeders. We have had the chicks for a full week today and I just noticed he bought medicated feed and read if vaccinated it will void the vaccination. So advice on what i should do? toss the medicated 20lb feed bag!!!!!? continue to feed it to them? yikes? any advice would be helpful! thanks in advance.

What did you get them vaccinated for? If they were vaccinated for coccidiosis you do not want to give them medicated feed. However the most common vaccination is for Marek's, and that isn't affected by the amprolium in the feed.

They were vaccinated for both. So do I continue feeding them the medicated feed or toss it and by unmediciated??? They have eaten if for a week already?????

Welcome! The Marek's vaccine is good, and the coccidiosis "vaccine" Is just a low dose of coccidia, and one feeding of amprolium in feed wipes it out. Don't bother changing the feed now, it's all fine. You paid for the coccidiosis vaccine and changed the story. We did that here one year, and then talked to our state poultry expert, who said to not bother with coccidiosis vaccine anyway! Enjoy your chicks, they are so much fun. Mary

Okay thanks! My hubby was about to kill me if I had him dump the medicated feed out
1f602.png

Back
Top Bottom