Vaccinated chicks / Medicated food?

Cheryl

Crowing
15 Years
Sep 2, 2007
Milford, New Hampshire
I just ordered 5 chicks from MyPetChicken and they will arrive vaccinated. Do I also buy medicated food? Any suggestions for food? brand? I've never had chickens, so this will be a new experience. But have gotten great ideas reading the forum. I trust everyone who says it's not too late to raise chicks in New Hampshire...I'm starting them in my basement. DH wanted 17 week pullets, but I want friendly girls!!! This will also give me enough time to get a coop built!

First of all, what are your chicks vaccinated for?

That will make a difference about the medicated feed, which is usually medicated with amprolium or another coccidiostat against coccidiosis.

If your chicks were vaccinated for coccidiosis, do not feed medicated feed.
If they were vaccinated for Marek's, then feed the medicated feed.

Jean

They will most likely be vaccinated against Mareks, so medicated feed won't cancel it out. Buy Chick Starter, then switch to Chick Grower when they're about 8 weeks old. Medicated vs unmedicated feed is a personal choice, but unmedicated feed is harder to find and more expensive.

Enjoy the chicks!
love.gif

Chickies will be vaccinated against Marek's... 2 rhode island reds, 1 Ameraucanas, 1 gold and 1 silver laced wyandotte
Also just bought a red heat light and an extra one "just in case." I think my little hobby (DH says obsession could add up in bucks!) I plan on reading any and all ideas on how to raise them, so thank you all for your help!

If you are brooding in the house, 250W red is overkill. I use a 100W for the first week when I broody 25 chicks on the porch and it gets into the 40's at night during the spring. By the time they are 3 weeks old, I switch down to a 60W and between switchings I use a dimmer switch. They are on flourecent lighting by the time they are 6 weeks old. Their porch brooder is pretty draft free though and has a low ceiling to keep it all warm.

It may just be over kill, but then again the basement is not finished or heated, has a cement floor and granite rock walls. Our house is an old New Englander, about 1875, we have a de- humidifier that keeps the dampness at bay. Any suggestions suggestions for the thermometer? Now I'm going off track!

The only vaccine which isn't compatible with medicated feed is the Coccidiosis vaccine. The vaccine is still relatively rare; and my extension agent assures me it's effectiveness is dubious. It's just one of those things rushed to market to give organic growers a chance against Coccidiosis, since we can only use vaccines. All other vaccines are not redundant to medicated feed.

The big question is, do you need medicated feed?

I've never used it on any animals at my farm, except goats, who like to spontaneously drop dead if not pampered. In nature, weaker chickens get diseases and coccidiosis and don't live to breeding age. This is nature's way of improving your flock's vigor and health. When we introduce medicated feeds, we upset that system and allow weaker chickens to procreate, thus weaking our overall genetics. I'd say if you can accept a few losses early on, you'll be far better off years from now when you are incubating your own eggs.

Back
Top Bottom