Vaccinating Baby Chicks

SarcasmPhD

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 22, 2015
Somewhere in the Lone Star.
I will be getting chicks from my local feed store. They do not provide vaccinations. Where would I go to vaccinate them? Just the regular veterinarian? And, which vaccinations are imperative that I get to ensure the health of my chicks and future flock?

Vaccinating chicks is a personal preference. some folks have their chicks vaccinated for Mareks disease and coccidiosis. Some people never vaccinate. Some hatcheries even post a recommendation on their web site that they DON'T recommend vaccination for the small back yard flock. No matter who you ask, they are likely to have an oppinion regarding vaccination or medicated feed. If you were to ask me for my opinion, I'd tell you that I never vaccinate my chicks, and I've never used medicated feed. My preference is to rely on natural immunity, and build immunity in my chicks through early exposure to the pathogens in my soil.

I've never had issue with Coccidiosis. Never used medicated feed. Use fermented feed for the pro-biotics. Have used the packet probx mix before, before using FF. Regarding Mareks disease: Having a wild turkey population in your area will help impart immunization as they carry a less virulent strain. Similar to the old time story of the milk maids long ago being immune to small pox b/c they'd had cow pox. My chicks get a square of sod in the brooder soon after they've figured out what the food dish is all about. I wait until they regularly have full crops, then give them the sod with the grass clipped short. They go absolutely nuts over that sod. I also use DL in the brooder, and plan to inoculate it well with barnyard litter for this spring's hatch.

Vaccinating chicks is a personal preference. some folks have their chicks vaccinated for Mareks disease and coccidiosis. Some people never vaccinate. Some hatcheries even post a recommendation on their web site that they DON'T recommend vaccination for the small back yard flock. No matter who you ask, they are likely to have an oppinion regarding vaccination or medicated feed. If you were to ask me for my opinion, I'd tell you that I never vaccinate my chicks, and I've never used medicated feed. My preference is to rely on natural immunity, and build immunity in my chicks through early exposure to the pathogens in my soil.

The perfect answer !!!!
goodpost.gif

Back
Top Bottom