Vaccinations esp salmonella?

moodybubbles

Songster
10 Years
Aug 30, 2009
I have had chickens twice in my lifetime.

I bought them from feedstore so I know the chicken had some vaccinations because they came from a large hatchery.

My own when they hatch, I just enjoy the chicks.

My son has an allergy to duck eggs and as I was researching the likelihood and probability of allergy vs intolerance, I noticed a salmonella vaccination recommendation.
I figured a small flock of 8 chickens and 8 ducks (ducks free ranged and chickens sometimes free ranged)housed separately would need no additional vaccines.

It seems that one can get salmonella from eggs even cooked ones? I always thought if eggs were properly cooked then salmonella was very unlikely. And of course hands cleaned properly after handling eggs.

So do you vaccinate your flock for anything esp salmonella? Do you do any testing for such things to determine if vaccination should be needed?

Hatchery chicks don't have any vaccinations unless you ask/pay for them. So, your feed store chicks likely did not have vaccinations.

You will only get salmonella from eggs that have salmonella (that is, not all eggs/chickens have salmonella). Proper cooking kills salmonella, though you could recontaminate them after cooking (ex using a spatula to flip a half cooked egg and then using the same spatula to put the cooked egg on the plate, if it happened to get uncooked egg on it). If you are eating your eggs runny then they could still have salmonella since they won't have reached 165 degrees.

Where I am, testing is pretty cheap, though I haven't tested or vaccinated for it. It is normal protocol for NPIP.

If it gives you peace of mind, get them tested. For NPIP they test once a year, though of course they could get it from a wild bird or something in the meantime so don't consider it a failsafe.

Last edited:
I don't vaccinate or test for anything.
The hatchery and/or feedstore you bought from may have vaccinated them, but for what specifically?

Any claims of vaccinations and/or testing should be clearly defined as to specific disease/organism...and sometimes the strain of such.

Am curious if you are in the US?
I think the UK vaccinates for salmonella regularly....it may even be required.

Last edited:
I don't vaccinate or test for anything.
The hatchery and/or feedstore you bought from may have vaccinated them, but for what specifically?

Any claims of vaccinations and/or testing should be clearly defined as to specific disease/organism...and sometimes the strain of such.

Am curious if you are in the US?
I think the UK vaccinates for salmonella regularly....it may even be required.
Ah, that's true. I foolishly tend to assume everyone is in the US unless their profile (or word choice / sentence structure) indicates otherwise.

You can get your birds tested. Contact a local hatchery and they can give you a number to call to get you the test sent. If is very simple to do. You then send the test back and will have the results in about Ten days.....

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom