Vaccinations for CX ???

Do you recommend any vaccinations for meat birds?

• Yes, vaccinate Cornish cross broiler, process at <10 weeks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No vaccinations for Cornish cross

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Yes, vaccinate Cornish roasters or Ranger type broiler, process at < 16weeks

• No vaccination for Cornish roasters or Ranger brookers

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Yes, vaccinate Heritage breeds, process >16 weeks

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • No vaccinations for Heritage breeds

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Other (explain)

• Total voters
I've only done one batch of CX so far and I did not vaccinate them for Marek's, but I did use medicated feed for the first 2 weeks to prevent coccidiosis. So I voted "no vaccinations for Cornish Cross". But I have been wondering about this issue so I'm interested to learn more. That was just what I did the first time but I'm willing to change it if there's a reason to vaccinate.
Good point about medicated feed for the first few weeks. Were you able to find medicated chick feed greater than 20% for your CX?

Good point about medicated feed for the first few weeks. Were you able to find medicated chick feed greater than 20% for your CX?
No but I used 20% medicated feed. I just bought this 10# bag from Meyer when I picked up my chicks and fed them that 'til it was gone (~2 weeks) and then switched to 18% broiler feed.

Meyer recommends using 18% protein feed all the way through for broilers to prevent leg and heart issues. I was skeptical at first and thought my birds would be underweight or have smaller breasts or something. Nope! Huge chickens, huge breasts at 8 weeks. Ranged from 6.5# dressed to 8.5# dressed right at the 8 week mark. No leg or heart issues, so I'm team 18% from now on I think. 👍

Edit: And sorry for such a long answer to such a simple question you had. I guess my point is, higher than 20% might not be necessary.

Back
Top Bottom