Vaccinations for CX ???

Do you recommend any vaccinations for meat birds?

• Yes, vaccinate Cornish cross broiler, process at <10 weeks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No vaccinations for Cornish cross

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Yes, vaccinate Cornish roasters or Ranger type broiler, process at < 16weeks

• No vaccination for Cornish roasters or Ranger brookers

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Yes, vaccinate Heritage breeds, process >16 weeks

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • No vaccinations for Heritage breeds

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Other (explain)

• Total voters

NorthwoodsChick

Fowl play will 🐝 encouraged 🐥🐔
Premium Feather Member
May 16, 2021
UP Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
What is the common thought regarding getting vaccinations against coccidia and/or Marek’s disease among those who raise broilers or heritage chicken breeds commonly used for meat, not including dual purpose. Poll considers type of meat chicken and general age at processing

(note: Time at process age is ranged for simplicity and does not imply any recommendation on harvest time)

My heritage breeds are dual purpose. I harvest the boys between 16 to 23 weeks and the rejected pullets around 8 months, whether purchased or hatched by me.

I do not vaccinate for Coccidiosis, I can handle that risk by keeping the brooder, coop, and most of the run dry, even in wet weather. I do not vaccinate for Marek's. I've never seen any sign of Marek's in my flock, including the mature breeding flock.

some say it's a leaky vaccine and spreads it.
I've read that and disagree. The vaccine does not spread it. The vaccine stops the lesions that cause the damage but does not stop the birds from catching it and spreading it if they are exposed to it. They do not spread Marek's because they have the vaccine, they will spread it whether they are vaccinated or not if they are exposed to the virus. The vaccine will stop them from showing symptoms so you won't know they have Marek's and are spreading it, if they are. Not all birds in the flock will show symptoms even if they are not vaccinated, which makes it even more confusing. It is a nasty disease.

No vaccine for any of my meat birds. Heritage birds only for me.
I tend to agree. With broilers having such a short lifespan I would think Marek’s vax would not offer much benefit in terms of end losses prior processing versus unvaccinated.
Coccidiosis seems more of a risk, IMO. I am not vaccinating meat birds. Instead I’ll introduce some vegetation with the soil on some roots so they acquire some immunity prior to going to pasture in a tractor.

I vaccinate all my chicks, the cockerels have a chance to show their qualities and if they are great they can stay as a flock rooster without me worrying about them dying from Mareks. The rest of the cockerels go to freezer camp.

Even though the vaccine can’t prevent them from getting Mareks it can prevent a lot of the painful symptoms and that’s good enough for me.

I don’t vaccinate for coccidiosis, my broody hens raise most of my chicks so the whole flock goes on medicated chick feed if there is a problem.

I tend to agree. With broilers having such a short lifespan I would think Marek’s vax would not offer much benefit in terms of end losses prior processing versus unvaccinated.
Coccidiosis seems more of a risk, IMO. I am not vaccinating meat birds. Instead I’ll introduce some vegetation with the soil on some roots so they acquire some immunity prior to going to pasture in a tractor.
I’ve probably done the immunity thing automatically. I always give the chicks in the brooder a dirt bath from compost pile.

I've only done one batch of CX so far and I did not vaccinate them for Marek's, but I did use medicated feed for the first 2 weeks to prevent coccidiosis. So I voted "no vaccinations for Cornish Cross". But I have been wondering about this issue so I'm interested to learn more. That was just what I did the first time but I'm willing to change it if there's a reason to vaccinate.

Back
Top Bottom