Vaccinations!

Bettacreek

Crowing
15 Years
Jan 7, 2009
Central Pennsyltucky
So, reading about sick birds being shipped, moving and increasing our breeding flock by quite a bit has me wanting to vaccinate everybody. Some of my birds are like family, and I want the best protection possible for everyone. Now, what kinds of things should I vaccinate for? I'm thinking fowl pox, coryza and new castle? What about the different mycos? I guess I could call the ag extension to ask their opinions of what's most common in our area. But, one thing I don't quite understand.... most diseases that you vaccinate for are lifetime carrier diseases, but the vaccines are live. I know the amount is miniscule, but really, are vaccinated birds now considered carriers? Can vaccinated birds be shipped or sold, or would that pose a risk to other flocks if they are unvaccinated? Another thing, if the fowl pox is lifetime if contracted and vaccines are live, how come they have to be vaccinated yearly? I have some understanding of vaccines and immunity from nursing school, but not sure if I'm forgetting something important or what.

Back
Top Bottom