1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

vaccine

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by marytoast, Jan 21, 2009.

1. marytoast

marytoast Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Carthage, NC
    I was wondering if I need to vaccinate my chicks when they hatch for merek's disease. Is this a very common disease? My other chickens were vacinated at the hatchery. [​IMG]

2. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    I understand that Mareks is the primary cause of chick death. I noticed a considerable difference in survival. It is worth it! Just my opinion.

It would be nice if you could get a group to go in together for the vaccine. 1 vial treats 1,000 chicks. Jefferslivestock.com

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I dont believe in the vaccinations. It is better for them to become resistant to it by themselves, without a vaccine.

4. bantamgal

bantamgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Some people breed for natural resistance. If it strikes your flock it can be devastating. Breeding for natural resistance could mean many culls. If you raise chicks away from adults till they are 6 months old, then they 'should' have an immunity. If you plan on adding more birds, going to shows, having any contact with other birds. I would vaccinate. Even wild birds can cause it. It can live in dust for years.

5. Quote:Babies up to 6 month do not get a resistant form of mareks. they simply die and if they happen to do make it they become a carrier and die latter in life anyhow. I have seen it and it ain't purdy.

6. Momo

Momo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    Nelson BC
    Since Marek's is endemic (and that largely because of the vaccination, because it doesn't inhibit transmission of the more virulent strains), I like the *idea* of breeding for resistance. However, after losing all but 4 of my first 30 chickens, I started vaccinating my day-old chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by