Vacuum ideas

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by mamagardener, Oct 27, 2011.

1. mamagardener

mamagardener Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, my old vacuum finally broke. I have been waiting for this to happen because I hated that vacuum. Now I can get a new one. I like the ones that have the onboard tools, and hose. I don't want to spend a lot ( can't afford a dyson ) any ideas?

2. ChickenAlgebra

ChickenAlgebra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Sorry, I managed to murderize EVERY vacuum before we got our Dyson. I could buy some of the best vacuums on the market and I'd get MAYBE a year out of it. The Dyson, I've had it 5 years now and it's as good as the day I bought it.

If the starting price of the Dyson is too high, are the refurb Dysons affordable for you? Dyson refurbs

3. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

Me my mom and grandma all have the same canister style vacuum i think we got at walmart. Did not cost much and works great! We have had them for about 3 years now and never a problem.

Ous looks something like this but ours was alot cheaper than this one. Just giving you and idea what it looks like.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hoover-WindTunnel-Canister-Bagged/12169487

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  4. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    I'm on my 2nd one of these, the first lasted 2 years and some change even with improper care.

Bissel

Some of the reviews say it isn't durable. I don't know what they've done to it, but I put mine through some down right dirt wars. Two German Shepherds, whole leaves, dirt clods, drywall dust, pine shavings that get tracked in, dog hair imbedded into the rugs and back of the couch where Ricca glides along it like a cat, the dust ruffle on the bed, I can vacuum it with one of the attachments and put off washing it... I can clog it up bad by forgetting to dump the canister and it won't lose suction until the clog is all the way up through the hose.

If the brush doesn't spin it's because you have something wrapped around it... saw that on one of the reviews. maybe they got a faulty one. I flip mine over every once in awhile and clean the brush. Change the filters, wash out the inside (easy to take apart and clean). Sometimes it will collect dust from static electricity and I just wipe it down with a dryer sheet.

5. ChickenAlgebra

ChickenAlgebra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Quote:Killed one of those dead in 4 months. Followed every instruction given. Blew the motor in it.

6. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    That's so weird! My new one is at 7 months and still running like when I bought it. The old one made it a little over 2 years and I killed it by forgetting to change the filters and then sucking up a wet mess and over heating it.

I've heard good and bad things about the Dyson too but haven't tried one. Was going to after this one bites it. At some point I would like to spend the money on a "life time" vacuum and stop replacing them all together. I've never had one nice enough to warrant a trip to a repair ship. When I borrowed a friend's TriStar I straight up fell IN LOVE with it and used it every other day. Then I saw the price and about passed out. I've been stalking them on Ebay ever since.

7. Orchid

Orchid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    I have a Hoover Windtunnel canister vacuum. I've broken nearly all the plastic parts on it but as far as actual vacuum performance, it works great - and I am not easy on it. Between pet hair and sand my vacuums earn their keep and then some.

http://www.amazon.com/Hoover-WindTunnel-Canister-Electronic-S3765-040/dp/B00008UI0R

My mom has a Dyson and while it "sucks" amazingly well, I don't care for it. It seems clumsy to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by