Vacuum Sealing whole birds?

tsarge

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 12, 2010
Northern VT
Has anyone successfully vacuum sealed a whole 5-7lb CX using a FoodSaver? Will the 11" wide bags hold a bird that size? I'm about to purchase a FoodSaver and cannot find anything larger than the 11" wide rolls.

Thank you Katy! I have my new FoodSaver vacuum sealer and am going to test it out on some bear meat. Local farmer shot a small bear ripping apart his chicken coop. Bear was picking up a chicken, biting the head off, and moving on to the next one. I buddy of mine is a police officer and ended up with the bear. We skinned and quartered it and now I'm just trimming fat and sealing it up!

I have my own 24 CX and 40 other CX to package on June 26th, so this FoodSaver is going to get a workout!

my kids LOVE bear salami. enjoy your food saver . . . did you know you can freeze eggs with it too? just scramble them (don't cook) and seal up the amount you will use per serving in the winter when production is down; I put three per pack.

They were up to 6 pounds and yes, the 11" rolls worked great. They made it through the winter without a drop of freezer burn! I think we have one left in the freezer
hmm.png
Do you pat the birds dry before sealing them? Last year the birds I did in the food saver did not seal the first time, I chilled them in the fridge and then had to get a new bag because the original bag wouldn't re-seal!! Very expensive for 100 birds!! So I guess mt only tip would be to dry them as much as possible-I think that's why mine didn't seal. They went from a cooler of ice into the food saver bags that I had made and double sealed at one end
tongue.png

I took mine to the butcher today. They had this huge commercial vacuum sealer . . . I was sooo jealous! It did two bags at once . . . I guess it may be a sin to covet your neighbors vacuum sealer lol!

Back
Top Bottom