Valbazen question

JensChickies

Songster
10 Years
Mar 26, 2014
California
If my girl still has tapeworms is it ok to worm her a third round? I use Valbazen. They arn't full tapeworm segments they are really tiny now, almost like the eggs or something.

Those are still segments you are seeing. Each segment you see contains hundreds of eggs.
How much valbazen are you dosing her with? When was the last time you dosed her? Did you withhold feed for 24 hours prior to dosing her?

Those are still segments you are seeing. Each segment you see contains hundreds of eggs. 
How much valbazen are you dosing her with? When was the last time you dosed her? Did you withhold feed for 24 hours prior to dosing her?

I dosed her 8 days ago, second round of it. I gave her 0.4 (she's only 4lbs). Kathy helped me with calculating the correct dose. I did not with hold her feed. I did not know about that aspect of it.

Alot of folks dont know how to treat for tapeworms in chickens. I HAVE dealt with them many times and you might as well throw the medical journals and books in the garbage when it comes to eliminating them from chickens. They are difficult to get rid of.
Withhold feed from your hen for 24 hours, water is okay. Withholding feed will weaken the worms making them more vunerable to the effects of the valbazen. Once 24 hours are up, increase dosage to 3/4cc and give it to her orally undiluted. Dont feed her for 3 hours after dosing her. After 3 hours are up give her a little feed at a time, gradually increasing to normal over the rest of the day. She will be starving from not eating and if you dont gradually feed her, she will gorge her feed possibly causing impacted crop or gizzard.
If this treatment fails, purchase zimectrin gold equine paste wormer, shouldnt cost you no more than $15. Then give your hen a small "pea" size amount of the paste orally, then repeat again in 10 days. You can put the paste on a small piece of bread for her to eat if you wish. But first, give the valbazen a chance to do its job before buying the z-gold.

Alot of folks dont know how to treat for tapeworms in chickens. I HAVE dealt with them many times and you might as well throw the medical journals and books in the garbage when it comes to eliminating them from chickens. They are difficult to get rid of.
Withhold feed from your hen for 24 hours, water is okay. Withholding feed will weaken the worms making them more vunerable to the effects of the valbazen. Once 24 hours are up, increase dosage to 3/4cc and give it to her orally undiluted. Dont feed her for 3 hours after dosing her. After 3 hours are up give her a little feed at a time, gradually increasing to normal over the rest of the day. She will be starving from not eating and if you dont gradually feed her, she will gorge her feed possibly causing impacted crop or gizzard.
If this treatment fails, purchase zimectrin gold equine paste wormer, shouldnt cost you no more than $15. Then give your hen a small "pea" size amount of the paste orally, then repeat again in 10 days. You can put the paste on a small piece of bread for her to eat if you wish. But first, give the valbazen a chance to do its job before buying the z-gold.

Thanks Dawg. I know they can be hard to get rid of. So 0.75 will be ok to give a 4lb hen??i know Valbazen is pretty benign, but this will be her 3rd dosage (hopefully her last). In your experience how long has it taken to get tic of them?

Back
Top Bottom