Valentine's Day Hatch!!!

Quote:
really? That's great! how many days are you in? oh and...
welcome-byc.gif

Here i am on day 5 and yes...the wait is killing me slowly like always..lol

28902_dsc01817.jpg

99's across the board. The one on the left say's 99.1 so i hope the babies don't mind me being off by just a smidge, but then again that's the cheapest wal-mart special they got. The one on the top right is from walmart too, but was more expensive and it's been yet to steer me wrong. That one is reading 99 for a low, 99 for a high, and currrent temp of 99. Looks like it say's 94 sorta in the pic, but i assure you it's reading 99 as my current temp.

Last edited by a moderator:
I set them on the 22nd, so that would put me at day 4/5. Not all of the eggs are showing veins, but I think it is still too early to cull based on candling. Maybe in a few days I will clear some out, if they don't start showing progress. Then I can add more!
big_smile.png

Can't see anything in the quail eggs, they are just too dark. So I guess those will be the wait and sees!

Oh I can't wait for my Genesis to arive!!!! I'm using an OLD Ward incubator. I've got 7 true rumpless araucanas, 4 ameraucana/araucana mix, 1 wellie(or marans)/araucana mix (all from "upintheholler") and 6 EEs from a friend in the little thing. Hand turning. I tried to google the Ward incubators and can't find them, the instructions on on very weathered paper that's nearly brown lol.
8 days for the Genesis to arrive. That's where my next ones go
smile.png

Just finishined candling, 23 eggs are developing! Looks like a couple of the serama eggs, the rest are Dutch Bantams. I am so excited!

The other half my incubator is dedicated to the quail eggs. I'm not sure how many are in there, but I have some more arriving today. So it looks like I should have three hatch dates... Quail 1 on 2/6, chickens on 2/12, and quail 3 on 2/12.

Already starting to plan for my next batch of incubating... maybe I should get another incubator...

I added to the incubator yesterday

2 Light Brahma/EE
5 Light Brahma/ ?

hens:
Black Sex Link (23)
Light Brahma (4)
Barred Rock (5)
New Hampshire (2)

could be anything, won't know for sure until they hatch....lol
Mutts get added to laying flock (when they are older) so no harm in them being all together right now.
In the Spring, I will move breeding stock to their own area.

I like them all together for the winter, as it is easier for me.

Quote:
have you checked on ebay for the book on it? strangely i was looking online last night and came across some old incubators and books and one was a Montgomery Ward's! (are your sure it isn't one of their old ones?)

caf.gif
waiting for day seven so I can successfully candle...

I've already done it of course but not really seeing anything. I can see the air sac and the yolk and maybe some veining??? Not sure yet. My flashlight isn't as strong as I would like and I'm so very new at this.

I can see eye spots today. So very cool. I got a cheap Krypton flashlight at Ace, spent less than $5 on it, but it is really bright. I don't take the eggs out to candle them, just put the flashlight on the top of them while they are in the incubator and I can see so much! My four year old was amazed at the eyespot! I love hatching eggs!

Back
Top Bottom