Valentine's Day Hatches---post here!!!

I think there is another V-Day thread, but that's okay!!

I have 12 BamaChicken silkies and 2 silkies from our chickens in the bator due on V-Day!! Good luck everyone!!
fl.gif

I candled on Friday. Good results so far..Although, there is a tiny odor coming from the bator this morning when I went to turn the eggs...i sniffed each one and didn't find the culprit...any suggestions before it blows up inside the bator?

It could just be the bator. You know, it being wet and warm constantly. If it wasn't 'totally' clean that would make it smell. Try emptying all the water out, and refilling it.

good thought...it is a brand new bator though. never used. I don't have hardly any water in the bottom and there are 2 damp sponges that I wet down every day.....I guess I will have to do the sniff test daily now until I nail down the culprit!!!

Soak your sponges in bleach, that's probably the problem. If it was an egg, you would be able to smell it. Probably better do an egg sniff test for the next couple days too. What kind of eggs are you hatching? (chicken, quail, duck) If they aren't quail the insides will look 'cloudy' if they are bad. You can't see much of anything in quail eggs!

ETA: I said 'if they are bad' twice!
lau.gif

ETA again: Did you clean it anyway, even though it was new? Just because it was new doesn't mean it was clean. You clean brand new dishes before you use them don't you?
wink.png

Last edited:
I just candled my 4 test eggs and it looks like I have 1 embryo developing! I was very surprised because I didn't think they would develop because I got them out of the fridge. If everything goes well I should have a lil'peeper on the 14th or 15th
fl.gif

wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom