Valley Quail Chicks

PhelanChick

Chirping
May 11, 2023
I checked through the threads but did not see anything. I would love to know from those of you that have hatched Valley Quail specifically- what is your survival rate after hatching?

I hatched 17 eggs beautifully- no problems at all. They looked like they were doing fantastic. Day 2-3 a couple started to look puny so I gave them some drench to try to perk them up (they have drench in their water also). Lost one the next day and one after that, but I knew they looked weaker than the others so wasn't a complete surprise. Then yesterday I lost one and tonight one more. I don't get it they looked like they were doing so well.

They are in the house in a back bedroom, in my brooder. Heat lamp on one side, which they are never directly under so I know they are warm enough. They have 3 shallow water pans (just deep enough to cover their feet) and 3 feed pans filled constantly with game bird starter. What else can I possibly do? Is it just normal for some not to make it? I am worried. They have 6 chicken chicks with them that hatched at the same time, but they all seem to get along great and they sleep together.

Photo is from like day 2 I think, they are 5 days old today.

Advice? Ideas?

Attachments

• 349133862_1442165999930757_2300668537275909569_n.jpg
    349133862_1442165999930757_2300668537275909569_n.jpg
    910.5 KB · Views: 452
Hey again! I’ve been with you for the whole hatching journey of these babies :).

Could it possibly be something in their food? What are you feeding them? Is the food too big for them to swallow easily? Do any of them have pasty butt? Have you seen them drinking? Are they trying to get away from the heat lamp at all?

I am in no way experienced with raising quails, so I’m sorry if I’m not much help. Maybe others will be able to help more… @Mallards and Quail, @Nabiki, any ideas?

Hi There! They are on a commercial game bird starter mash. It seems as if all are eating and drinking but with this many it is hard to know for sure if each is eating.

They move about pretty freely- sometimes closer to the heat sometimes farther.

no pasty butt that I have noticed but there are so many and they are so little lol

Your conditions sound fine. I would stop giving them Nutri-Drench in their water. That is more an "if they need it" supplement rather than something they need normally.

Does their poop look normal? I can understand losing the small ones. Failure to thrive is pretty normal. @007Sean has more experience with the more exotic types of gamebirds, though. Maybe he has more insight than I do.

Your conditions sound fine. I would stop giving them Nutri-Drench in their water. That is more an "if they need it" supplement rather than something they need normally.

Does their poop look normal? I can understand losing the small ones. Failure to thrive is pretty normal. @007Sean has more experience with the more exotic types of gamebirds, though. Maybe he has more insight than I do.
Thank you so much! I only did the drench for 2 days but then when I lost a couple I put it back in to see of it would help

These are ones I rescued from the wild so I just want to do my best for them .

Thank you so much! I only did the drench for 2 days but then when I lost a couple I put it back in to see of it would help

These are ones I rescued from the wild so I just want to do my best for them .
You may want to contact your local rescue group if you can. If you're in the US, I believe it's illegal to keep them without a permit, especially if they're from the wild.

Might also explain why so many are failing to thrive, as wild-caught birds likely have slightly different needs/resistances than captive-bred. When I worked in wildlife rehab quail babies were some of the hardest to keep alive :(

Might also explain why so many are failing to thrive, as wild-caught birds likely have slightly different needs/resistances than captive-bred. When I worked in wildlife rehab quail babies were some of the hardest to keep alive :(
Oh no that's disappointing. Any advice to help them out?

Back
Top Bottom