Valley Quail Chicks

Might also explain why so many are failing to thrive, as wild-caught birds likely have slightly different needs/resistances than captive-bred. When I worked in wildlife rehab quail babies were some of the hardest to keep alive :(
I agree with @eddie_van_quailen , wild quail will definitely have different requirements than pen raised quail. Also, it's not wise to put chickens in with quail....even chicks that just hatch could have a disease that would affect the wild quail. I don't really know but I would suspect a respiratory infection.

Oh no that's disappointing. Any advice to help them out?

Sorry, the only advice I have is the same as for any quail chicks... keep them warm (warmer than coturnix, with a cooler side), give them the right food (crushed 30% protein gamebird starter ideally), safe access to water (shallow & room-temp), and hope for the best. Unfortunately the best place for wild valley quail chicks is with a wild valley quail hen, but that's not an option here so all you can do is your best. However, a wildlife rehabber would likely have access to things like injectable supplements, subcutaneous hydration, and tube-feeding, so I would still recommend contacting one if you can find one nearby.

Last edited:
Sorry, the only advice I have is the same as for any quail chicks... keep them warm (warmer than coturnix, with a cooler side), give them the right food (crushed 30% protein gamebird starter ideally), safe access to water (shallow & room-temp), and hope for the best. Unfortunately the best place for wild valley quail chicks is with a wild valley quail hen, but that's not an option here so all you can do is your best. However, a wildlife rehabber would likely have access to things like injectable supplements, subcutaneous hydration, and tube-feeding, so I would still recommend contacting one if you can find one nearby.
Thank you! Luckily I am a vet tech and have raised baby birds so I can do all of that but I think we are hopefully past the critical.point. all the rest seem to be thriving. I added a snack of meal worms yesterday for them to fight over and they thought that was great lol. Just a few but they loved it. I am in touch with fish and game and waiting for them to advise me what to do. The one in charge of special permits doesn't know where to send me lol

Thanks for all of your help- fingers crossed they keep growing and staying healthy. They are starting to try to fly around when I open the brroder door lol

Thank you! Luckily I am a vet tech and have raised baby birds so I can do all of that but I think we are hopefully past the critical.point. all the rest seem to be thriving. I added a snack of meal worms yesterday for them to fight over and they thought that was great lol. Just a few but they loved it. I am in touch with fish and game and waiting for them to advise me what to do. The one in charge of special permits doesn't know where to send me lol

Thanks for all of your help- fingers crossed they keep growing and staying healthy. They are starting to try to fly around when I open the brroder door lol

Great news! I’m happy to hear this 🥰

Back
Top Bottom