Vanilla Air Fresheners........

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gavinandallison, Aug 12, 2010.

1. gavinandallison

gavinandallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Matthews, NC.
    There was a post in here somewhere about keeping flies out of the run and coop.

As suggested we purchased a pack of 4 Vanilla Air Freshener "trees" and a bottle of vanilla air freshener spray from Auto Zone, total cost around $5 and so far it seems to be working... There will always be flies around when you give them tomatoes or fruit but otherwise, we clear away the uneaten scraps and seem to be relatively fly free....

And the coop and run smell very nice too, an added bonus!!

2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I am going to try this. I had read about it, but just hadn't made up my mind. So your post push me in to trying it. Thank you.

3. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Well I thought it was too good to be true but I tried it anyway...the flies were so bad. At first I thought it didn't work but soon no more flies. I think it took longer because I only put out one. I didn't realize people were putting multiples. I still only have one hanging on the side but it is working. Amazing!

4. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    I second the above post and will be hitting up every dollar store tomorrow! SICK OF FLIES!

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    oldtimegator posted that-look up their posts and you'll their thread on it:)

6. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I hung one in the quail pen, and while there are still flies, there are a lot fewer.

7. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Does it have to be the tree ones or would anything vanilla scented work?

8. TheChickenCameFirst

TheChickenCameFirst Chillin' With My Peeps

That sounds like an awesome idea... I'll have to utilize it when we are up and running! Are we sure that the fumes from the air freshener are ok for the birds?

9. downstownlady

downstownlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Conroe, TX
    It worked great!!! Who knew??? I think they all have been diverted to my bug zapper...now that's entertainment!!! LOL Thanks BYC for the great tip...now to peruse for the next one!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by