Vanished chick

tryingtohaveitall

Songster
10 Years
Mar 17, 2009
SW Ohio
Friday I was gone all day. As I was driving to yet another commitment about 6p, my 13 yo DD called to tell me that one of our 5 week old chicks was missing from the run. Vanished out of thin air with no sign. The fencing doesn't look disturbed, my 3 yo was sick in the house all day. The neighbor kids deny going over there and their mom (whom I trust) backs it up. Thankfully nothing else has happened over the weekend, as I feared would happen. What on earth do you think happened?

Did you happen to notice any feathers nearby? Predators are quick and sneaky. Does the run have a covering or is it open? Hawks are still capable of handling chicks that size. I hope this isn't the case.

How big are the openings in your fencing? It really doesn't take much of an opening for a 5 week old chick to get out. They can squeeze through a very small opening if they had to at that age, especially if there is give in the fence.

Mayby its
hide.gif

Quote:
That's a thought. We'll have to go all around it again and double check. We stapled gunned it (Is that how you say it, lol) to the posts and zip tied the layers of wire together, but I wouldn't say it's impossible. Something to look into....

Back
Top Bottom