Vanished

adstowe

Songster
6 Years
Aug 8, 2016
Colorado
Can a red tailed hawk snatch a (hatchery type) buff orpington and fly off without a struggle? One of my orpingtons disappeared yesterday without a trace. I came home from work and she was just gone. I walked all over the area that they range and couldn't find any feathers. I do have coyotes here and that's certainly an option, but the birds never stray far from their coop, which is right by my house and I've never seen a coyote closer than about 150 yards from the house. The best idea I can come up with is a hawk.

Coyote will come right up to your coop and snag them with barely a sign. A hawk will usually leave feather signs. Coyote will quickly learn your patterns and come around when you aren't there.

if you can pick up a bit of fabric bright colors just strips tie that out also birds like hawks will usually not risk it then

I guess I'll go back to only letting my chickens out in the evening and on my days off. I started letting them out to free range while I was at work and apparently that didn't work. I don't think It's even been two weeks. Hopefully it was a learning experience for the rest of them and they'll exercise a bit more situational awareness.

edit: I may try the strips of bright cloth too. Certainly can't hurt and whether or not it was a hawk this time, it will be eventually. They aren't uncommon in the area.

I had a coyote that came back for weeks and snatched about 15 birds a few years ago before my husband got a good shot at it. It learned when he left for work and when I got outside and only came during that time so it was hard to finally catch it in the act.

I had a coyote that came back for weeks and snatched about 15 birds a few years ago before my husband got a good shot at it. It learned when he left for work and when I got outside and only came during that time so it was hard to finally catch it in the act.
Maybe I need to set up out there and try and call them in and eliminate the problem before they have a chance to get caught in the act.

Can a red tailed hawk snatch a (hatchery type) buff orpington and fly off without a struggle? One of my orpingtons disappeared yesterday without a trace. I came home from work and she was just gone. I walked all over the area that they range and couldn't find any feathers. I do have coyotes here and that's certainly an option, but the birds never stray far from their coop, which is right by my house and I've never seen a coyote closer than about 150 yards from the house. The best idea I can come up with is a hawk.

There is not a red tail hawk who can become air born with an adult buff orpington hen, even a commercial hatchery hen.

Back
Top Bottom