variation in chick feather coloration

centrarchid

Crossing the Road
14 Years
Sep 19, 2009
Holts Summit, Missouri
I have a little under the weather lately with flu. Can not go out much so whe I do most activity restricted to front porch. When I go out there, some of my lawn ornaments (hens with chicks and only free ranging rooster) come and sit in shade with me. The hens and rooster just lay down and the chicks of the game hen jump up into my lap and peck at me or sit around and preen themselves. I could not help but notice the variations in color patterns on the feathers. Some had bars, some penciled, some have irregular splotches. These differences will not be evident when they are adults. The barred pattern in particular looks like that on a barred rock. Are these the chick patterns repressenting some of the color patterns that are not turned off in adults of some of our selected breeds?

without knowing what the parents are its very difficult to guess what genetic make up they have...
wink.png

Quote:
I know with certainty ID of parents. Know ID of grandparent and great grandparents as well. Flock has been closed for decades. Never paid attention to variation in chick coloration other than saying well that will be a red quill or that one will be brown red. Pattern is detail totally overlooked. Will record pattern and see if it has any relationship to the modest variation evident in adults. Most variation within adults most likely to be evident in hens.

Back
Top Bottom