Various Questions

mystang89

Songster
8 Years
Jul 12, 2011
Louisville
I have a few questions which I have looked up but either found no answer or not found a sufficient answer, so here goes.

1.) Is there any way to found out which hen is laying eggs other than standing at the chicken coop all day?
2.) If I throw grit onto the ground will the chickens eat it or just ignore it?
3.) Would it be better if I mixed the grit with their food?
4.) If I do mix their grit what ratio should I mix it with their food or does it matter?
5.) How much scratch should I throw to them a day? I generally take a handful out in the morning and throw it around and maybe a handful sometime during the day.
6.) Do the hens normally lay eggs normally around the same time?
7.) How do you put DE or other lice/mite preventatives on the chickens without them squawking and flapping all over the place? I have 5 Bantam leghorns and they aren't big fans of touching.
8.) How do you inspect hens for lice/mites etc? Will a visual inspection do or do I have to ruffle their feathers around and look at their skin?

Sorry for the list of questions, they've been building up and I never get time to write them down. Thank you in advance.

Thanks kindly for the reply. I'll keep doing what I'm doing with the grit then and just throw it out by hand in their run.
I did think of another question however.
My chicken coop is raise off the ground by cinder blocks and I watch my chickens go under there all the time. I figured it was to keep cool during this weather but are they also using that as their dust bath? Should I make a place outside the underneath of the chicken coop as their dust bath or is that an ok spot?

Last edited:
It could be a bit of both that they are going under the coop, as well as that it feels like a safe place to hang out. You probably don't need to do anything different.

Back
Top Bottom