1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

vaulted skull

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mrsengeseth, Oct 1, 2008.

1. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

what does this refer to? the feathers or the skull itself??

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

The skull its self. It appears in many large crested birds, and often makes brain injuries very easy.link

3. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    Its what breeds with big crests have. They basically have a hole in their skull that exposes the brain and is only covered with a thick layer of soft tissue/cartilage.
    If you feel the bump on top of the head of say ---- a polish chick, or SQ bloodline Silkie---- you will notice its not really a solid bump, its a bit squishy.

Thats what makes the crests in big crested breeds so big.

Also, with them having a hole in their skull they are more prone to brain injury due to pecking etc.
    Silkies with vaulted skulls are esspecially vulnurable I think, they are too gentle and calm and will not either defend themselfs or get out of the way of a bully(unlike polish which are pretty quick birds).

I think crooked neck syndrome in silkies is caused by brainswelling due to injury if I recall correctly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by