Vegans of BYC!!

Pics
I'm a bit late to this thread, but I'm an ovo-vegetarian. I was vegan for many years, but I'm willing to eat eggs from my chickens and I figure giving eggs to friends and family helps reduce the number of factory farmed eggs being purchased. I've only had chickens for two years, so I'm fairly new to it, but my goal is to try to give my chickens good, long lives in a safe environment. I've been really impressed with how different chickens actually are to the way they are portrayed on TV, in fiction, or in other media (I grew up in the city). They have individual personalities, are affectionate to each other and people, and are curious about everything. I love the gazillion different sounds they make and their quirks. I have 6 2 year old easter egger hens, 6 nearly 8 week old salmon faverolles pullets, and one 7 week old black copper maran cockerel.

The cockerel was just introduced to the the salmon faverolles last week and here is a picture of them snuggling in their nest box together.
View attachment 3087322

Anyway, it was just nice to see that there are others here who wanted chickens primarily as pets.
They're just gorgeous!
Very true about different personalities. I admit, before my ducks came into my life, I was guilty of thinking they were just "pretty farm birds". I figured they'd be fun to keep, but I really had no idea how much personality they have.
My girls could not be more different, Dougie is quieter, and more difficult to earn trust with. Yet, once she's fully comfortable, she has the most hilarious personality, her nickname is "Crazy bird" and even saying that is enough to start her off on her excited zoomies. She seems to be the one who ends up with mud all over her face and down her neck, until bath time.😂 She trusts me a lot, and will run into my arms for pick ups.
Sprightly is more confident and much louder, she will yell her opinion at the world and expect it to listen carefully. Despite being heavier, as her name suggests she is energetic, and will do her very best to fly, usually with a crash landing! She loves face massages and hugs and kisses, she's a very good girl. 😁
They both follow me around, which I love.
Safe to say mine has been opened, from the somewhat shameful view of "pretty farm birds".

I just adore them, and I always will!

Don't think a thing about being "late to the thread." That just means you've revived it for more discussion!

Great photo of your chickens. and it sounds like you are a great chicken parent!

I do my best to discourage folks from eating eggs from the factory farms. Once, when I was dropping off eggs at the office where I used to work, one of my former colleagues proudly informed me that while I was selling my eggs for $1 a dozen (which I only do to subsidize feed costs), her husband buys theirs at a convenience store for 99 cents. She seemed less proud when I explained the conditions that produced those eggs.

BTW, I was shopping at Target last week, and one of their endcap freezers showed three brands of non-dairy "ice cream" in delicious flavors. My culinary world is getting bigger!
exciting!! I miss icecream, and compared to what I had before going vegan, I dont have a huge array of options here, it's vanilla, chocolate, or ben n jerries who have vegan options- chocolate fudge brownie, cookie dough, and I'm sure something else too! But I am content with these options, especially the vegan ben n jerries, they taste exactly like the real thing!
Though in the summer I always get these cornetto(?) ice creams, they come in the cone and have chocolate and crushed nut on the top, and they recently made a vegan one which tastes exactly like the real thing! I hope they're still selling them!
Talking about this has made me want some so I may need to go to the shop soon 🙄😁

Speaking of ice cream, I got a present for the holiday, a banana “ice cream” maker. You freeze bananas, put them through the hole, and it comes out the consistency of ice cream! I add melted peanut butter, and other assorted toppings! It is veeeery good! Would never have bought the item myself (I buy more for need not cool extras), but it actually is pretty cool!

Ben & Jerry's is one of the brands at Target; I don't remember the others. I had been buying my substitute ice cream at Aldi, and it was pretty good. But, I will have to check out the new stuff.

Haven't heard of the summer ones you like or the banana ice cream maker. I'm with you, iluveggers, on not buying one, but I would certainly accept a gift!

Dougie and Sprightly sound wonderful, BelovedBirds!

Speaking of ice cream, I got a present for the holiday, a banana “ice cream” maker. You freeze bananas, put them through the hole, and it comes out the consistency of ice cream! I add melted peanut butter, and other assorted toppings! It is veeeery good! Would never have bought the item myself (I buy more for need not cool extras), but it actually is pretty cool!
that sounds pretty good!!

All this talk about ice cream motivated me to stop at Target on my way home from church today and check out the non-dairy freezer.

The stuff isn't cheap, so I went for the least expensive -- a pint of favorite day brand's caramel brownie. I wasn't so sure about the first little dish, so I had a second. Yup, it's pretty good!

It's almond milk-based, cost me $3.99 and is a Target house brand. I'd buy it again. However, in the interest of research, perhaps I should try all the brands at Target :) ?

All this talk about ice cream motivated me to stop at Target on my way home from church today and check out the non-dairy freezer.

The stuff isn't cheap, so I went for the least expensive -- a pint of favorite day brand's caramel brownie. I wasn't so sure about the first little dish, so I had a second. Yup, it's pretty good!

It's almond milk-based, cost me $3.99 and is a Target house brand. I'd buy it again. However, in the interest of research, perhaps I should try all the brands at Target :) ?
Yes, you certainly should try all the brands! If you don't you'll never know.

It has happened! My darling Dougie has laid her very first egg! Smooth, strong shell!
She's so young, and it feels like just yesterday was Christmas day, the day she came into the world!
But here we are!
She enjoyed her egg scrambled up, shell and all!

Attachments

• IMG-20220504-WA0007.jpeg
    IMG-20220504-WA0007.jpeg
    278.2 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom