Vegans of BYC!!

Pics
Hey guys.
I'm not vegan or vegetarian, I couldn't possibly give up milk or cheese or meat! But I am trying to cut down on eating too much bird meat. All the meat, eggs and milk I eat/drink is from my local shop (won lots of awards for animal welfare) and is organically sourced. I will not eat it if it's not organic. I've also done a school presentation on battery farming, it's disgusting.
I think plant based meat substitutes or alternatives can be a good supplement to any diet, reducing the amount of animal products people use means less animals farmed and more care is taken with them-
If you think about factory farming etc, its all about quantity not quality or welfare, they have to mass produce to meet the demand-
More people are cutting meat and dairy and eggs even, out completely, but even those who reduce the amount they consume will help! And hopefully someday we wont rely on those products anymore/as much.
Whether its things like eating meat a couple times a week instead of every day, or swapping things out for plant based alternatives that taste the same (like butter, its basically exactly the same). Changes like that can be positive for welfare reasons as well as health-

Anyways, I'm basically agreeing and understanding where you're coming from and just ranting lol. Welcome to the thread :D

Reducing your intake of bird meat and eating the healthiest options you can find is admirable. And you are right about battery/factory farming.

But, you may surprise yourself some day and change how you feel about what you eat.; I did.

I used to think I would NEVER stop eating dairy-based cheese. I loved all kinds of cheese -- cooked with it, ate chunks of it as snacks, sprinkled grated cheese on Italian dishes. I had gradually been eating less meat. but I could not imagine life without a chunk of smoked Gouda or a sharp Cheddar.

In fact, I used to think vegans "didn't get it." Sure, meat meant animals were killed, but dairy products didn't kill anything. Some small operations may be able to produce cheese in a more humane manner, but there are none of those around here.

After I learned more about the conditions that commercial operations force upon dairy animals, I started to enjoy cheese a bit less. Now when someone asks me what I've had to give up, I tell them I didn't HAVE to give up anything. It's a choice I've made, and I'm happy with it.

I will be the first to admit that some of the plant-based alternatives don't really replicate dairy-made cheese, but some are pretty good. I even test them out on my non-vegan sister who agrees.

Regardless of my choices, I applaud you for the steps you've taken. Thanks for being part of this thread.

Reducing your intake of bird meat and eating the healthiest options you can find is admirable. And you are right about battery/factory farming.

But, you may surprise yourself some day and change how you feel about what you eat.; I did.

I used to think I would NEVER stop eating dairy-based cheese. I loved all kinds of cheese -- cooked with it, ate chunks of it as snacks, sprinkled grated cheese on Italian dishes. I had gradually been eating less meat. but I could not imagine life without a chunk of smoked Gouda or a sharp Cheddar.

In fact, I used to think vegans "didn't get it." Sure, meat meant animals were killed, but dairy products didn't kill anything. Some small operations may be able to produce cheese in a more humane manner, but there are none of those around here.

After I learned more about the conditions that commercial operations force upon dairy animals, I started to enjoy cheese a bit less. Now when someone asks me what I've had to give up, I tell them I didn't HAVE to give up anything. It's a choice I've made, and I'm happy with it.

I will be the first to admit that some of the plant-based alternatives don't really replicate dairy-made cheese, but some are pretty good. I even test them out on my non-vegan sister who agrees.

Regardless of my choices, I applaud you for the steps you've taken. Thanks for being part of this thread.
so true!
I remember years ago, standing in my kitchen with my mum, eating a bar of chocolate. And I said "I will _never_ go vegan. Vegetarian maybe. Not vegan"
Well after I ate that chocolate, a few years later I ate my words...!

I didnt get the dairy industry back then, now I realise how much the cows endure just so they produce milk, which like 60% of people cant properly digest. But still drink it!
Lots of people say they struggled with the switch to veganism, but if I'm being completely honest, I found it really easy. The hardest three things to give up were bacon, junk food kebabs, and milk.
And honestly I've found substitutes that are just as good! Which reminds me, recently I tried a new milk brand, I think its called Mylk or something, it is INSANE!
It's made with different nuts and soya I think, a mix of different things. It looks white like milk, and I drank it plain and tastes just like milk!! The texture everything was perfect. Completely vegan. It's awesome!

I'm loving vegan food lately because I feel I'm finally doing it right, and I am loving the food so much. Food that is so simple, but actually so yummy and healthy! I wish I'd done this sooner!!

I have no problem with people's diet choices at all. But one thing to consider and from experience with family members, eliminating varietal proteins in my observation has long term cumulative effects. Please dont get me wrong Im not saying eat meat, but you should monitor your health closely for your family's sake.
As much as I care for my animals, if I were to walk into the barnyard the size of a mouse I would be devoured without hesitation. Especially chickens. Im glad Im bigger:D

You have a good point. I don't eat meat, per se, but I do get animal protein from eggs produced by my own chickens, ducks and geese. And, I take a B12 supplement.

I totally get your last paragraph! I pointed out at work once that I am afraid of cows but not pigs. A colleague rightly said that I had that backwards because cows are natural vegetarians but pigs do eat meat -- including humans. It happened to a guy back home who apparently had a heart attack and fell into his hog lot. Not to make light of it, but by the time anyone noticed Anton missing, there was a lot of him missing.

I have no problem with people's diet choices at all. But one thing to consider and from experience with family members, eliminating varietal proteins in my observation has long term cumulative effects. Please dont get me wrong Im not saying eat meat, but you should monitor your health closely for your family's sake.
As much as I care for my animals, if I were to walk into the barnyard the size of a mouse I would be devoured without hesitation. Especially chickens. Im glad Im bigger:D
It's the way of nature, but we are aware of the suffering we inflict which seems to set us apart from our animals- As for protein, I agree it is very important to monitor health. Thankfully plant based diets are completely safe, as long as people research and eat the right things! :D

I've done it! Ive made vegan cheese!!!
I boiled up some cashews until slightly softened, then blended with vegan plain yoghurt, soya milk, lemon juice, olive oil, pinch of salt, nutritious yeast and corn starch. Then I cooked the mix it on a low heat until thickened, and scooped it into a salty ice bath! Into the fridge for a few hours, and--
It was so yummy!
It was soft, nutty, creamy and cheesy!
Definitely making it again! It was a first attempt but I feel with more attempts it will be perfected.
I had it chopped up with some salad and falafels-
and a homemade salad dressing consisting of vegan plain yoghurt, soy sauce, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, maple syrup, and tomato puree and stirred well. It was very nice! Tangy and sweet.
I'm having a lot of fun playing around with meals, but this one went down well this evening after a really hot day, with a glass of ice cold beer shandy!

IMG-20220719-WA0007.jpg

Hey! I consider myself mostly plant-based and not vegan as I use some products with beeswax, ethical wool, and I eat eggs from my chickens. I also occasionally have honey from a family friend whom I trade eggs with! I do not eat meat (since 3 years ago), dairy (since 4 years ago), and I never eat factory farmed eggs, only those from my own chickens. I quit factory farmed animal products due do the horrible treatment of the animals, the negative environmental cost, and my personal health. I have an organic permaculture style garden. My chickens live in a landscaped deep litter run that I harvest compost from for the garden and in return the chickens get treats from the garden!

Hey! I consider myself mostly plant-based and not vegan as I use some products with beeswax, ethical wool, and I eat eggs from my chickens. I also occasionally have honey from a family friend whom I trade eggs with! I do not eat meat (since 3 years ago), dairy (since 4 years ago), and I never eat factory farmed eggs, only those from my own chickens. I quit factory farmed animal products due do the horrible treatment of the animals, the negative environmental cost, and my personal health. I have an organic permaculture style garden. My chickens live in a landscaped deep litter run that I harvest compost from for the garden and in return the chickens get treats from the garden!
trading honey for eggs sounds so sweet! I wish I lived in a community like that lol. I choose not to eat honey, but I dont consider it quite the same league as dairy/meat and all- I dont really like honey anyways, but that does sound awesome you have a friend you get to do that with!

Congrats on the cheese making, @BelovedBirds. BTW, I bet the ice cold shandy was great pairing with the cheese -- or without the cheese. Stay safe during these crazy hot days!

And, @CaliforniaMountainChicks, no matter what you consider yourself, it sounds like you are making good, thoughtful choices. I also eat eggs from my own birds, and I, along with Beloved Birds, just don't like honey. I've tried.

Back
Top Bottom