Vegetarian recipes!!!

percyj

Songster
9 Years
Jun 20, 2010
I was reading all these recipes, and I realize - wait a minute! There are practically NO vegetarian meals! Which is very understandable seeing how most of BYC farms, and uses their animals for meat, but I though we should start a vegetarian thread for appetizers, meals, and desserts. Note: vegetarian (to me) means no meat or fish. I consume eggs and milk.
Here is an extremely simple version of an Indian dessert called kulfi. (Kool-fee)
Ingredients
1 can evaporated milk
1 can condensed milk

Mix the two together, put in ice cream or jello molds, and freeze. Turns into a delicious, creamy, and rich ice cream.

Ooh I like this idea! I will have to go dig out some of my really good ones!
big_smile.png

Oh when you posted "condensed milk" is that the sweetened condensed?

Last edited:
How do you think that would taste in coffee? I know it would melt pretty quick. But your coffee would probably be a little thicker and sweet. Hmmm.... Might have to pick up those when Im at the store next and give it a try.

P.S. My sister is a vegetarian, so I will be checking this thread often to find her ideas. She just started college, so she wont be cooking to much. She goes in and out of the vegetarian phase. This phase is my fault and start in May this year. Oops.

Quote:

I want to quit eating animal flesh and start using my fresh eggs for protein. I've been gathering egg recipes, so this subject is great! So far, I've just been doing basic, traditional egg meals: biscuits & gravy with scrambled eggs; breakfast burritos; egg & cheese on toasted English muffins (like egg McMuffins); quiches; eggs, hash browns (traditional breakfast); fried egg sandwiches; salads with chopped, hard boiled eggs. We have these for supper, too! If I find some new & unique recipes, I'll add them!

I have to be honest, and here is the best thread to be honest in:

Everytime people stop by and ask, "Do you have chickens for the free eggs?" or something like, "growing your own food in case the economy turns worse?"

I tell them Heck No. Chickens' eggs are not free, and growing beans is cheaper and better for you anyways! Beans are practically free, for Pete's sake! Eggs are not even use-able protein once we cook it, and aside from the rich nutrition in egg yolk, there's no benefit over risk when compared with beans and peas. For my money, I would invest in peas and beans over chickens for eggs anyday.

I keep chickens because it was a mistake but now I love them. They are pets, and I love the eggs. But if the economy turns worse, I'm growing beans and peas for food.

In the long term, I use my chickens' poop as part of turning my compost heap, and that soil is like rocket fuel to grow vegetables in.

Next spring I'm planting French Green Lentils; Fluffy border hedge with food growing in it.
thumbsup.gif

Here's the beginning of my French Green Lentils border, its a hedge of Thyme, different varieties, with annual flowers thrown in 'til the Thyme gets established. Up against the fence I plan on the foofy, ferny, fluffy lentil plants with all their little pink flowers, followed by the lentils' pods. I think it will be beautiful. I'll still throw in marigolds and the purple assylum for color.

Simple Lentils and Rice:

Chop one onion and 3 ribs celery fine (miripoix), sautee til fragrant in oil
Add 2 cups uncooked rice and stir til fragrant
Add one cup lentils and 5 cups water or broth,
Stir occasionally and simmer with lid off until rice and lentils are done. Add water occasionally if rice not done yet and drying out.
Season with salt and pepper, or favorite seasoning of choice.

It takes about 30 minutes, unless you use brown whole grain rice, that should be at least partially cooked first before adding to lentils.

The lentils have a very "meaty" fragrance. This is plain comfort food. For even plainer, omit onions and celery.

I've been a vegetarian (mostly. I do eat some fish) for 35 years. Here's something I came up with a few months ago.

Spicy Thai Burrito:

Firm Tofu
Prepared Thai spice
Shredded Purple cabbage
Fresh cilantro leaves
Grated carrot
Thinly sliced fresh jalapenos (without seeds)
Jasmine rice
Thai Peanut sauce
Sweet hot chili sauce
Large flour tortillas

Cook rice per package instruction (Every vegetarian ought to have a rice cooker IMO)
Prep veggies
Cube Tofu into square inch cubes and sprinkle with Thai spice, both sides. Fry in canola (or other light vegie oil) until brown on two sides.
Warm tortillas in microwave 20 seconds per wrap

Fill tortilla with about 5 or 6 cubes of tofu, some rice, veggies and cilantro. Drizzle with peanut sauce and a little sweet chili sauce. Wrap it up and enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom