Vegetarian?

Quote:
Yes. Being a female once you have a monthly cycle, your iron needs go up. Taking a once a day iron vitamin will stop your body from becomming anemic, otherwise the lack of iron effects your red blood cells. Thing to remember is iron pills can be toxic to young kids, so lock them up with the other meds, and take your vitamin at breakfast.

i have been vegitarian for ... most my life, i dont like how meat tastes. i am vegan for long stretches at a time. i Never eat eggs or milk, and not even IN food if i can help it, and i have only had One time i was ever anemic, it was after 2back to back pregnancies and a miscarriage, i fixed it with a normal flintstones vitamin and paying better attention to Not eating Junk. if you are Vegan, a multi vitamin is a must, but otherwise you Can get ALL your nutrition while vegatarian. i would recommend thinking ahead and figuring out What to eat. think about family get togeathers and resturaunts. in my area even GREEN BEANS isnt vegitarian! yikes! and the inlaws get offended if i dont eat "enough", so i learned how to fake it, lol. Oh and theres stuff with Hidden animal roducts in it, like ceaser dressing and worchester sauce (anchovies) and lays baked BBQ chips (chicken fat) Good Luck!!!!!!
ps they test my iron alot for WIC so i DO know i am FINE

Nope. I did it once for about three months, then deer season rolled around. I love to hunt too much to be a vegetarian. There'll never be anything better than fresh venison and wild turkey...

But I say to each their own....

18 years now. My DH has been his entire life. Neither of my sons show an interest in eating meat. We do eat dairy and eggs (mmmm). There are many foods that are high in iron, meat is actually not the best source for it. Just do a bit of reading up on it. To be honest, the only way I will eat meat is if I can handle slaughtering one of my own animals, until then I feel like I haven't earned that right. We all have our lines in the sand, and that's mine. For others that line is different, and that's fine too.

We eat a lot of the morningstar farms products, we also cook a number of dishes out of "The Farm Vegetarian Cookbook", in addition to the basics like pasta (whole wheat) and beans and torts. Being a vegetarian can force you into trying new things, which is always fun.

Good luck Emzyy, it's hard to maintain being vegetarian when you aren't living independently yet. Kudos to you for giving it a go
smile.png

I have been for about 7 years. I started off being vegan first, as a dare from my sister. There are a lot of meat free options out there, just remember that each brand is different. I know a lot of people who say they hate veggie dogs, but they don't know the good brands to get, so if there is something you're looking for, try several brands. Anyone else having tofurkey in a couple weeks? lol

I tried it when I was 19 for about a year and was hungry and grumpy all the time. Too much vegetarian soy based products are unhealthy, soy in general is full of estrogen and the farming, packaging, and processing of it (and tofu) is almost as bad as the waste caused by factory farms. Factory farming is an evil in itself too though, that's why I'm raising my own chicken!
smile.png
We have long-term goals to raise our own beef and pork too, as soon as we own our own property.
smile.png

woot.gif
I've been a Vegetarian all my life! One of my friends says that I will eventually become a meat eater when I try meat. So we have a bet right now (started last year) that if I'm still a Vegetarian in 20 years, she gives me $20 and if I'm not, I give her $20.
lol.png
Of course I know I will win. She just doesn't understand that; she thinks that once I try meat, which I never will, I will like it and start eating it. Nope. Not for me. In fact, everytime I see meat, no matter if it smells good or not, I think...That's literally cooked animal flesh. Why would I eat THAT???
sickbyc.gif
sickbyc.gif
sickbyc.gif
sickbyc.gif
Vegetarian meat tastes soooooooooooooooooooo much better!!!!

One of my pet peeves is that a lot of people, when I say "veggie-"meats" are actually really good." They say, "Ew tofu is disgusting!!!" Um yes I agree that it sometimes can be, unless put with seasonings and stuff. But they think that ALL Vegetarian/Vegan "meats" are bland, tasteless, and made out of soy beans. "Ew who wants soy beans when we can eat yummy meat?" People tell me. Well, when you use the right brands and cook it right, soy-based Vegetarian meats are delicious! It depends on how you cook it. My mom is an amazing cook and so she makes delicious Vegetarian dinners. But you don't even need to be; you can just microwave/fry a couple strips of veggie-bacon, eat them raw, and they would still taste good. You can't eat real meat raw, can you?
wink.png

I agree, some people can't be Vegetarians because of health issues. But it's healthy for you if you don't have health issues and if you become a Vegan/Vegetarian, eat the right foods, exercise, and stick to it. Don't just decide that "meat is too yummy and you must eat it" or "it's too hard". It's really not when you get the hang of it.
thumbsup.gif
I'm a Vegetarian and I do Track&Field, Cross Country running, and sometimes soccer. Not to brag, but on my Cross Country team I one of the top 10 runners, I've come in 3rd, 2nd and 1st place at some track meets, and I do well in many other sports. So it's untrue that Vegans/Vegetarians don't get enough protein.
wink.png

I choose to be a Vegetarian because I'm against animal cruelty rather than support it for the sake of my taste buds... I have enough willpower to not use the excuse, "Meat is too good for me not to stop eating it, even if it's causing billions of animals pain and suffering".
In my opinion, this is not a very good excuse.
hmm.png

It's a great eating choice for people who can do it and not have health issues because of it. It's healthy, greener for the world, and it doesn't support animal cruelty. Three things that I choose to be a Vegetarian, but there are so many more reasons, too.

Have fun and I hope you enjoy it! I know I am!
frow.gif

Last edited:
Glad you are doing so well with your new adventure. Be sure to eat good protein sources.

No, can't do it with you.

Meat eater here and I love the taste way too much to ever give it up. I am low carb eater also and eat mainly meats and veggies.

Last edited:
Ironically, I have started eating chicken again after getting my first chickens this year. I found it to be hypocritical to eat and use eggs, when there is a dead rooster somewhere for almost every laying hen.

I also said I wouldn't eat anything that I couldn't kill myself. Well, I had to kill a sick chicken this summer, which I feel gives me the right to eat chicken on occasion. (no I didn't eat the sick one) OLNY pasture raised, free range organic chicken of course, from a local farmer. It's worth paying 5 times the price to know that what I'm eating was treated as well as my own egg layers. I won't eat it from restaurants, or anywhere but home. I've just learned that I am now a "selective omnivore."

If only the entire population would educate themselves on where food comes from, rather than living purposeful ignorance. It is MUCH easier to be vegetarian than be a cruelty free omnivore.

Quote:
I agree. I wish everyone would educate themselves, but most think it's not worth their time. If I could, I would post a few links on here to some good websites...But the mods got mad at me last time.
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom