Veggi Garden....

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by SamG347, Mar 18, 2008.

1. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    Well already planning and maping out the Veggi Garden. We arent doing as big of one as last year but we are going to still have a great variety. But my question is does anyone have any good SPACE SAVING ideas for growing watermelons and canteloupes in a smaller space? We will also be having....

Leaf Lettuce
    Cabbage
    Pepper
    Tomatoe
    Cucumber
    Pea

And also our Blueberry and Rasphberry bushes!
    [​IMG]

2. swampducks

swampducks Overrun With Guineas

Feb 29, 2008
    Barton City, MI
    Quote:I've never done it myself, (I can't grow a watermelon to save my life!) but I've heard of people training the vines up a fence and then making a sling for each melon to support it's weight as it grows.

3. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    The only space saving idea I can think for a watermelon vine is to plant it in your neighbors yard!!! [​IMG] JK! My kids planted on years ago...around the patio...we had watermelons and vine...and no patio!!!! If we could air drop kudzu or watermelon vine over Iraq, the war would be over in a week!!! Good luck..please share if you figure out the solution [​IMG]

4. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    You can get bush varieties of watermelon to grow in a small space. I like this site, www.rareseeds.com they specialize in heirloom varieties, I got seeds from them last year and did very well. Also if you can find an old copy of Carrots Love Tomatoes, about companion planting they have good suggestions.

5. GwenFarms

GwenFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    I just wanted to remind ya'll about the sister site The Easy Garden.

www.theeasygarden.com/forums

Alot of folks from here are there talking about their gardens!

6. babychickfarmer

babychickfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Grow your cantys' and watermelons up a trellis type thing (make sure it's nice and sturdy) and when they start to fruit put the little fruit into cut panty hose. Tye the open end to the trellis and the panty hose will stretch as the melon grows. Also keeps the bugs off. Hope this helps! Good Luck

7. carolinacooper

carolinacooper Out Of The Brooder

Feb 29, 2008
    Hi I used the pantyhose trick on cantalopes last year.It worked great!I let mine climb up one of those heavy gage livestock panels fromTSC. I cut it in half so it was @ 4 x 6 foot.It also keeps the cantalopes clean and safe from critters and bugs.

8. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:[​IMG]

9. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    I will have to try these ideas! How much is the livestock pannel at TSC...I think I have seen them just never checked price.
    [​IMG]

10. carolinacooper

carolinacooper Out Of The Brooder

Feb 29, 2008
    They used to be around $15.00, but I am sure they have went up with everything else this past year.Good luck!!(I also let my cucumbers climb up, and I think it doubles the yield per plant)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by