Veggie pulp out of a juicer?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by TC, Feb 20, 2009.

1. TC

TC Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2009
    La Grange, Ca
    Is it okay to feed the vegetable/fruit pulp out of a juicer to 1 to 2 week old chicks? We juice on a regular basis, and seems like they like it, just hope its okay. Nothing weird in it, just carrots, apples, melon and some celery.

Also, I am making my trip to the feed store for my next 50 lb bag of chick starter, should I start mixing grit in with it? So far they are gettting medicated starter, hard boiled eggs w/ shells. (every 1 to 2 days), and I just gave them the veggie pulp last night.

Thanks!!

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    All sounds great, except for the shells. DO NOT give them eggshells - they're much too young. Too much calcium before laying age is very bad for them.

I would think the pulp from a juice would be EXTREMELY good for them, and I'm green with envy that you've got a nice juicer! I give mine chick grit in a separate little bowl (it's actually a cat food bowl with slanted sides so they can't tip it over). I begin at 10 days, when I begin giving soft treats.

Sounds like you're going to have one spoiled rotten batch of chickens! [​IMG] That's how it OUGHT to be!

3. Leah-yes I know I'm crazy

Leah-yes I know I'm crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Skidway Lake, MI
    I'd hold off on the treats for a few more weeks just because the proportions of what they need at such a critical growing stage are really all covered by the starter. I wouldn't waste that pulp by tossing though...deffinately freeze in a coffee can or ziplock and save for this summer when they are a little bigger.
    Good luck with your chicks!

4. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I bet the girls would LOVE LOVE LOVE veggie sludgeicles in the hot summer months.

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Quote:They don't need grit since they are on starter crumbles. If you put it out you are going to start seeing impaction problems.

I would add the pulp to breads the same way you make zuchini breads and such or pasta sauce. But is just me. lol [​IMG]

A tbsp full with some yogurt wouldn't hurt as a treat this early. Just be cautious and watch for very loose poops.

6. Leah-yes I know I'm crazy

Leah-yes I know I'm crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Skidway Lake, MI
    Quote:I was thinking of what mine would do for a veggie "sludgeicle" in July or August...mental immage of mass chaos.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by