Veins only developing on one side?!? Help!

peebee

In the Brooder
May 6, 2015
I'm orphaning a mallard duck egg. I don't know how old it is, I candles it and compared to a chart and it looks about 10 days old. I can see redness and veins but it's only on one side of the egg. I have been laying it on its side and rotating, could that be why this is happening? Have I killed the egg? Is that normal? I think I see an embryo that's a good sign right? The other side of the egg is a yellowy color. Please help.

I'm orphaning a mallard duck egg. I don't know how old it is, I candles it and compared to a chart and it looks about 10 days old. I can see redness and veins but it's only on one side of the egg. I have been laying it on its side and rotating, could that be why this is happening? Have I killed the egg? Is that normal? I think I see an embryo that's a good sign right? The other side of the egg is a yellowy color. Please help.
When you hand turn, that is normal. As you turn the egg the development will turn as well and always be on the top side until further along in developement, then it'll start filling the egg about the same way you see in automatic turners. Don't freak out. It's ok.

When you hand turn, that is normal. As you turn the egg the development will turn as well and always be on the top side until further along in developement, then  it'll start filling the egg about the same way you see in automatic turners. Don't freak out. It's ok.

Thank you for responding. I tryed searching on google but the only thing I'd found was something on pigeons. I'm glad it's okay

Thank you for responding. I tryed searching on google but the only thing I'd found was something on pigeons. I'm glad it's okay
It's a little freaky when you first see it. I started out with an automic turner, then switched to manually turning for my hatch, and it took me by suprise the first time I candled to see development on it's up side only. Had a great hatch though.

Last edited:
It's a little freaky when you first see it. I started out with an automic turner, then switched to manually turning for my hatch, and it took me by suprise the first time I candled to see development on it's up side only. Had a great hatch though.

That's reassuring, I really hope it turns out okay. It was outside for 2 days without its mother so I took it in. I was worried it wasn't alive so when I read up and candled it and I was ecstatic when I saw the veins just a bit worried about where they were or rather where there weren't. I feel kind of silly for getting so worked up about it.

That's reassuring, I really hope it turns out okay. It was outside for 2 days without its mother so I took it in. I was worried it wasn't alive so when I read up and candled it and I was ecstatic when I saw the veins just a bit worried about where they were or rather where there weren't. I feel kind of silly for getting so worked up about it.
Your not the first. Like I said, it gave me a little jolt the first time I saw it, but once I figured it out, it enlightened me to why we turn eggs. I knew why we turned eggs in theory, but it showed me hands on how an unturned egg "sticks" to one side.

Back
Top Bottom