Venison Recipes Please

onebuggirl

Songster
11 Years
Aug 27, 2008
Okay I have only eaten vension 3 times in my life.2/3 of which I did not like it. But there is a local European Red deer farm and I want to try it again..localvore. What cuts and recipes would be good? I have tried sausage (loved it!!!) Steaks (tough & chewy..yuck!) and Brats (I did not know they were venison and was let down by the surpires..probabaly not a fair chance) Thanks in advance.

we have a farm here too, but red deer are not so much deer as they are Elk and I think Elk has a more gamey flavor. I have had the jerkey and summer sausage and it was delish. For the most part you can substitute venison anywhere you use beef. With ground meat we use 50/50 beef vension. Use a little garlic, salt and pepper. The garlic helps a lot with the flavor. Onion too.

My bro-inlaw gave us almost a whole deer this past year.
smile.png

I usually just marinate steaks for 24 hours in advance then grill. I've heard that you don't want to over cook the meat.

A couple marinades that I REALLY like are also really simple.

The first is a package of lipton onion soup mix, some olive oil, some worchestershire (you know what i mean.) sauce, about 2 cups of water. I put that, and the meat in 1 gallon zip loc freezer bag. Mush it all together and let it sit in the fridge for 24 hours. Then grill... Yummy!

You can also buy pre-made marinades at the grocery store.
I got a chipotle one that was REALLY good. My DH said it was the best meet he's ever had.

I also make stew with it, like beef stew. But I use a LOT more garlic.

Back
Top Bottom